Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

So I have been recently experiencing these two problems and it is very irritating.

First, I have a 2001 C320 and it has about 109 000 KM.

The first problem, is the front end squeak. Now it seems to be coming from the front driver's side tire area. It occurs usually at slow speeds when over a bump, not a hard bump, simply a small one that moves the car a little from side to side (ie. an uneven bump). It then lets out a squeak from the driver side tire that sounds like old bed spring, that is best way i can describe it. Any ideas?

The second problem is just as irritating. When pressing on the accelerator, i occasionally get a whining/rattle noise that seems like it is also coming from front end. It usually occurs when throttle is down approximately 50-75%. It is so annoying not to mention embarrassing! Any ideas of what this could be?

Thanks for your help!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
The squeak is most likely the sway bar bushings. They get hard and make all sorts of noise, especially when cold. Luckily they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

The whining/rattle on acceleration could be lots of things. Does it increase with engine speed? If so, my guess is something on the belt (or the belt itself) - A/C compressor, alternator, power steering, or the idler or tensioner pulley. If not, then it could be on the exhaust, and that could be anything from a loose support to clogged cats.

·
Registered
2001 C320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Rodney.

I really hope you are right about the squeak and it is only the sway bar bushings. Do you know approx. cost for that? Do you mean cold as in just starting the car or weather wise? It is really hot here and they still squeak , although sporadically.

The whining/rattle - almost a whistle at times, does start while the engine speed is increasing. If i am at a red light, it will be fine, or if accelerator is pressed lightly it is usually fine, then once I press the accelerator about half way down, and try to speed up, the sound will start then go away once i reach a certain speed or RPM perhaps.

I have also occasionally heard the sound in the morning once i start the car, but rarely and it will go away.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i agree the squeak is likely the sway bushings. try spraying some silicone spray on them and if the squeak gets better that will confirm it.

the rattle may be hard to find. I would try to have someone else rev engine with car in park and see if you can localize it. exhaust heat shield is one possibility but there are many others.

·
Registered
2001 C320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply schumicat. Its appreciated.

Now sorry if this is a stupid question, but where exactly are the sway bushings located? I know front end on the sway bar I am assuming, but to get to them how would I go about that? And what do they look like?

As far as the rattle goes, the weird thing about it is if it is in Park and I rev the engine, It will not make a sound.

It occurs occasionally when I start the car after it has not been started throughout the workday or usually when I start accelerating a bit. I know I had said in my original post I had the accelerator down 50-75% and it was making the noise, but I would say the accelerator is down about 25% and the noise is present then once it reaches certain speed, it disappears.

And I found another rattle but this one was easy to find out, the damn exhaust was rattling occasionally so I have figured out 1 out of 3!

Any help is always appreciated guys!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
The sway bar busings are easy to replace and easy to find. Look under the front end, you'll see the sway bar running from one strut to the other, just above the bottom engine cover. The bushings will be the rubber "mounts" held in place under a metal cap with two "reverse TORX" bolts. Just undo the bolts, cut the old bushing off, and put new ones on. If the old bushings seem "glued" on, just scrape them off and use mineral spirits to clean any stubborn residue off. The new bushings are split to go on without having to remove the sway bar ends.

As for the noise, it's just difficult to diagnose that sort of thing over The Internet. Maybe you could post a sound clip? But that's not always easy to identify either. One thing you say is that it only makes the noise in drive. If it starts making the noise and you shift to neutral, does the noise continue (be careful doing that - both from a traffic safety standpoint and don't shift back into drive until you stop and the engine returns to idle).

·
Registered
2001 C320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much Rodney. I will have to tackle that hopefully this weekend (sway bar bushings)

As far as the noise while accelerating, It is increasingly getting worse I think and it does not do it whilst in Neutral. I am not 100 percent sure, but I heard the sound while i was in Park when i first started the car and it seemed to be coming from middle of front end? I could be wrong on location but that is what it sounded like to me once i got out of car and had a listen, but it then went away. It occasionally makes the sound once I start the car but most of the time while accelerating (always will make sound). Like I have stated previously, it does not make the sound when i reach a certain point speed wise.

Thanks again for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts