Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes S-500, 1983 Jeep CJ-7
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 98 S-500 and when going over small bumps the front end sounds like it is going to fall apart. Put the car on a lift everything seems tight.I have replaced sway-bar end links,upper control arms and the entire suspension with new parts. I am becoming frustrated at the noise and the loose feel from the front end and was curious where to check next?....On the highway the car has a slight wobble at 55-70mph could be caused by a small bend in passenger side front wheel. I know the car should be solid as a rock on the highway and I am trying to get as close to that as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
87 W201 01 996
41 Posts
Hello, I have a 98 S-500 and when going over small bumps the front end sounds like it is going to fall apart. Put the car on a lift everything seems tight.I have replaced sway-bar end links,upper control arms and the entire suspension with new parts. I am becoming frustrated at the noise and the loose feel from the front end and was curious where to check next?....On the highway the car has a slight wobble at 55-70mph could be caused by a small bend in passenger side front wheel. I know the car should be solid as a rock on the highway and I am trying to get as close to that as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
..not to sound repetitive but did you change the inner/outer tie rods, ball joints...or maybe your wheel bearings are done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheel bearings where done and inner and outer.....Sorry forgot to mention

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Check your shock mounting bolts and make sure they're nice and tight. That's what made the noise on mine.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Are you getting wobble? or audible noise?

the shock mounting bolts is a good point to start...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W140 (300SE) 3.2L 1991 Petrol. Import from Japan with Lorinser Mod.
649 Posts
Are you getting wobble? or audible noise?

the shock mounting bolts is a good point to start...
Where are they located? I got the same feeling of a "tool box fall on ground" when I hit a bump! My friend told me that I have a heavy duty shocks and that is natural, is that true?

·
10,293 Posts
Where are they located? I got the same feeling of a "tool box fall on ground" when I hit a bump! My friend told me that I have a heavy duty shocks and that is natural, is that true?
No.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W140 (300SE) 3.2L 1991 Petrol. Import from Japan with Lorinser Mod.
649 Posts
I believe you are WRONG! I have those heavy duty shock absorbers and I believe it is very harsh on bumps. My car has been modified, and that is one of the modifications that I have noticed myself, it is abour 1" lower than the W140 around me.

So the question is, will that be the reason I have the toolbox sound when I hit a bump or there should be some lose nuts somewhere that should be tightened up?!

Thanks anyway bayhas for the reply and the detailed elaboration.

·
10,293 Posts
I believe you are WRONG! I have those heavy duty shock absorbers and I believe it is very harsh on bumps. My car has been modified, and that is one of the modifications that I have noticed myself, it is abour 1" lower than the W140 around me.

So the question is, will that be the reason I have the toolbox sound when I hit a bump or there should be some lose nuts somewhere that should be tightened up?!

Thanks anyway bayhas for the reply and the detailed elaboration.
low stance is usually becuase your springs are worn and sagged. unless you have H and R springs. look at your coil springs, if they are black in color, then they are worn OEM ones.

In conventional system (without ADS), the shock has nothing to do with the ride hight, and it solely relies on the coil spring.

I am not aware of a "heavy duty" version of the shocks, if your springs are worn enough, and your car is lower than the allowed limit, you could be hitting the bump stop on your shocks, and thus a harsh ride...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks bayhas for the information, I will investigate the matter with this in mind.
Really appreciate it.

Haroun

·
10,293 Posts
Thanks bayhas for the information, I will investigate the matter with this in mind.
Really appreciate it.

Haroun
no problems at all, let us know of the outcome...

BTW, worn and sagged springs is very common in W140. the cool thing about the W140 is they slowly sag and almost never break, so you hardly notice it happening over time, and thats why people practically never complain about it...

·
Registered
600 s
32 Posts
you didn't say anything about the sway bar bushes, but hopefully if you have done the entire suspension you wouldn't have forgotten the $8.00 parts that love to make heaps of noise, one of the quickest parts to wear on a W140 yet the most over looked,one day Iwill find some urethane ones, other than that check bottom bushes on your shocks, or are they new as well.
Cheers EJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sway Bar endlinks and bushings are done the springs are H&R and I have Bilstein shocks all were changed about 4-months ago.I tightened the top of shock mounts and the problem continues....annoying as all hell....I will get it on a lift this weekend and try and sort it out....

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
Check the bottom bolts. I had mine torqued to spec but they still rattled. Make 'em TIGHT +- 10 ft/lb.

·
Registered
93 300se, 94 s420, 98 s420, 95 s500, 97 s500, 96 s320w, 96s320, 99 s420
603 Posts
Sway Bar endlinks and bushings are done the springs are H&R and I have Bilstein shocks all were changed about 4-months ago.I tightened the top of shock mounts and the problem continues....annoying as all hell....I will get it on a lift this weekend and try and sort it out....
well how long ago have you had the sway bar links done?? from what i can see in your profile picture if that is your car i see rims on it, i have 20" and 18" rims in my car and believe it or not i went twice in 3 month period thru 2 sets of sway bar links (replaced) so what you telling me dont mean that theyre replaced and are not at fault, been there dont that and talking from experience.. but hey your pocket, your car = your opinion and wants so good luck

·
10,293 Posts
The rim size does not put extra strain on the sway bar, in fact, larger rims should, at least in theory, extend the life of the sway bar links, because the bar does not twist as much with lower profile tires.

The aftermarket replacements tend to carry less quality than OEMs... most of the ball joints based accesories for the W140 in the market are after market, especially if they are not purchased from the dealer and they dont carry a tristar stamp and a part number of A0140 xxxx xxxx.

larger rims on the negative side though, put added effort on the shocks, because you lose the thick air pillow in the high profile tires that was helping damping some bumps before they gets to the shock...

so in short, yes, if you used after market links, they could be bad again already...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts