Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 MB W210 E300 138K Miles Original Owner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 21 years its finally time to get after the front end steering and suspension in order to get the drivability back to what it once was or as close as possible. I am almost finished replacing all of the renewable drive line parts from front to back and now am considering doing the front end myself after talking to several shops and not getting the best feeling about their experience with W210's and how they would do the job. So where I am stuck is how to replace the control arm bushings both upper and lower. I said that wrong what I mean is where do you come up with the bushing removal/install tool without paying $328 for the Baum tool is where I am hung up. Yes I will have to buy the appropriate style spring compressor but the price of the tool to remove and press the bushings equates to buying new Lemforder control arms (approx $400 lower) which I reallyhate to do considering the ones on the car are in great shape no rust ect and original. I thought about trying to make a press/removal tool but having limited resources for cutting ect not a good idea probably. On another site there once was a tool rental program but that seems to be no more. So has anyone replaced their own control arm bushings and how did you do it tool wise? I did also think about a machine shop but taking one side at a time because of only one spring compressor......well I'm sure they would love having to set up twice. Lastly is the upper ball joint replaceable and do you need a special tool in order to replace the inner tie rod ? Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just refreshed the front suspension/steering on my W210 E55.
No need for a spring compressor. With a hydraulic jack near the ball joint. Undo the ball joint and lower the arm thus releasing the spring tension. Then you can pull LCA. I had a friends shop use a press the push out the old bushing. I’ve seen new LCA with new bushings for reasonable prices so consider them. Another idea a as some people have done is to cut the bushings out.
Remember to mark the LCA bolt positions.
The leFt ULA require removal of the washer fluid tanks and an extension to remove the long bolt. The Right ULA removed they computers to get to the nut.
I like the feel of PU bushings on the sway bar links but that’s about as far as I want I go down the performance route.
I also has to do inner tie rods so might as well do them all unless you know they were recently done.
Then get the wheels aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing this job after Jan. 1

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,200 Posts
On a side note:
With our w202, I ended up air-chiselling out the LCA oem bushing (at my friends shop), for both sides, as I did not have the proper press to remove them. Saved time doing this.
Replaced with K-mac parts to allow for correct adjustments to camber and caster for a lowered suspension. Thank goodness for neighbors that bond like family.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 5.33.19 PM.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a side note:
With our w202, I ended up air-chiselling out the LCA oem bushing (at my friends shop), for both sides, as I did not have the proper press to remove them. Saved time doing this.
Replaced with K-mac parts to allow for correct adjustments to camber and caster for a lowered suspension. Thank goodness for neighbors that bond like family.

View attachment 2615037
Thanks. Having a press of some sort is essential and then for installing the new bushing a piece of drill rod with washers and a cup, maybe a socket, to draw the new bushing in might work. Seem like about the time you have it all figured out the job is finished. But doing it on your hands and knees as I am you want to have it move along quickly if possible. Thanks again.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,200 Posts
Thanks. Having a press of some sort is essential and then for installing the new bushing a piece of drill rod with washers and a cup, maybe a socket, to draw the new bushing in might work. Seem like about the time you have it all figured out the job is finished. But doing it on your hands and knees as I am you want to have it move along quickly if possible. Thanks again.
I feel for you GBill1,
At my age, no way in hell I'm doing these tasks on a crawler. I'd rather barter to get it up on a hoist and share in good food, drinks and stuff. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts