Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SE 250,000KM Award Recipient
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1991 300SE's front end recently started groaning from the left front over bumps in the cool AM. Goes away as the day gets warmer but it needs attention. Have read from time to time about "complete front end rebuilds" and how much better the car rides after. My question is, what constitutes a "front end rebuild"? On the old 1985 300SD all I did was the lower ball joints and that was all it needed, but in retrospect should I have gone further? My 1991 300 SE is a much sweter piece and I would appreciate input from someone who's "been there done that"

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I consider a full front end rebuild to be ball joints, shocks, tie rods/center link, upper control arms/bushing, guide rod mounts, and lower control arm bushings. In some cases the idler arm for the steering box needs some attention as well.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 30sel
69 Posts
hello.i have a 91 sel and when i went over rough road i had a rattle and car would wonder on highway.i had my wife turn steering wheel while on ramps and idler arm seemed loose.replaced idler arm and stabalizer.drives real good now.before i would do a complete front end job,find out what's wrong with it first.it might be something simple like my problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts