Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some noises on the front passenger side of my car, 1984 300sd. If I can possibly explain the sound, its kind of a muffled klunk when I drive the front pass wheel over some bumps in the road. He is what I know or what I have done already.

Inspected that sides suspension. Raised the car. Tugged and pushed on the top of the wheel and the bottom. No movement or noises. All of the other suspension parts look solid. Good shock absorber.

If I step on the brake while driving over the bumps, the klunk is a little more muffled but still there.

I checked that entire side of the car looking for anything else that could be loose and make noise (battery, etc) Nothing found.

Lastly I raised the car and put the jack under the control arm and compressed the lower ball joint. I pulled on the wheel again and did not hear or see anything.

What can I do to zero in on the cause of the noise? I suspect it is the link that keeps the wheel from moving backwards.

·
SuperModerator
13,294 Posts
The link i think you mean is the brake support strut. I had mine done at an indie, cost about £300 i think.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
"Brake support strut" - also called guide rod bearing or strut rod bearing. Here is a current ebay auction with these bits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W126-FRONT-GUIDE-ROD-TRACK-STRUT-MOUNT-KIT-/400182414356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2cbb0c14

However, the above auction is surely cheap Chinese bits that won't last very long. I believe these guide rod bearings/bushings are consistent across W126 models - try Parts.com or see what the dealer cost is.

Edit - here is a link to Parts.com for an 89 560SEL - #5 is the guide rod bearing itself or #4 is the entire assembly with the large round rubber bushings included:

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getPartLocator&siteid=2&chapter=&Sectionids=19,2512&groupid=2523&subgroupid=5901&componentid=2613&makeid=67&model=560SEL&year=1989&graphicID=5711095&callout=5&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Getting the old worn out bearing and pressing in the new bearing can be a challenge - the entire assembly (#4) makes this an easier job, but more costly.

Al

·
Registered
37 Posts
I changed the guide rod mounts on mine along with the large bushings. Put the dog bone in the vise and removed- installed the bushings with a pulley puller(use lite coat of vaseline when installing). Had the guide rod mounts removed and replaced by a local machine shop($10.00 per side). Highly recommend removing springs when doing this job !!!!
I also replaced the guide rods and the bushings that the rod mounts to on the lower control arm since the springs were removed. Had the lower ball joints replaced a couple of weeks prior to this. So when I got it all back together, it was like a new front end, nice and quiet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Idler arm is on passenger side too, was the cause of noise in my SEL - a rebuild kit is cheap ($30+/-) and easy to install.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Definately sounds like guide rod bushings.You feel a clunk under the floorpan. No need to remove springs. Do not use any petroleum products when pressing in the new bushing! Use KY jelly for this. Also front end alignment should be done unless you carefully counted the rotation of the of the threads when you remove the old one. This is not a project for those without experience. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts