Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a brief description of how i ended up rebuilding the front end of this 300SL.The pictures below represents my first meeting with the car.
A restoration company in Englewood,Colorado contacted me to help them restore the front end metal work back to its former glory after their employees 'had a go' at rebuilding around the headlight housing and failed.
The front end was in pretty bad shape after being poorly restored some time ago in Mexico City.The metal had been work and ground so much,it was in poor repair.
I will be posting on the rebuild of both headlight housings,mouth,right hand fender and spears.

thanks for looking!

my weekly metal work blog The Metal Surgeon: Automotive Restoration | Handcrafted and Custom Automotive Restoration

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Surgeon, thanks for posting, very impressive work as I am sure your client demands on this car. Just goes to show what can be hiding underneath an older restoration...

Great post!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These first 3 photos show reference lines being drawn on the car and measurements recorded so when we remove the trim ring housing we know the exact position to place the fresh fabricated one.Luckily there was evidence of the original trim ring housing amongst the attempted prior repairs.

Now all measurements are recorded,now time to remove the damaged ,weakened material and replace with new.

Clico'ing a small wheeled section in,ready for tacking into position.

TIG welded ,ready for metal finishing.

Mid stage in metal finishing using a spoon,various hand weights and a file.

Section metal finished.

Section ready to be trimmed when new trim ring housing has been made and offered up.

my weekly metal work blog The Metal Surgeon: Automotive Restoration | Handcrafted and Custom Automotive Restoration

1 - 10 of 10 Posts