Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe Silver/Gray
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem. I only here it when going over speed bumps and I get a big compression on the shocks. The creak is comeing from the front passenger side. In the last 2 years Ive replaced shocks, and ball joints. I had the car into the dealer in December for vibration in the front end (forgot to mention the creaking), and they told me everything up front looks good and within tolerances.

Any idea what the creak could be? Control Arms? Tie Rods?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, chem.

It depends on the creak. First thought would be sway bar bushings, easy enough to DIY and pretty inexpensive as well. There are also trailing arm bushings and of course the CA bushings.

Did you change the shocks chasing the noise? If so you can probably eliminate the rubber bushings on them.

I have also (but much more rarely) heard a worn tie-rod end make a creaking noise.

Too bad you didn't mention it to the dealer. They don't usually look for noises unless asked to, they just check for wear within tolerances. Creaks usually are within tolerance, at least on suspension stuff. ;)

Does it make the noise if you just load and unload the suspension in your driveway? If so then you could unbolt the sway bar from the chassis mounts and bounce it, if the noise goes away you know it's the bushings, if not you've still learned something. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Could also be the drag link (similar to steering rack but without the hydralics). Same type of problem about 2 months ago. Creaking noise over bumps or hard over. Thought was either leaking shock or balljoint. Took it to the dealer as I have an extended warranty and the mechanic went with me on a test run. Drove it very slowly turned left and right - said there was some play in steering wheel. Outside pressed down on both left and right side - and replicated the noise. Checked all bushings said two were shot and the draglink (steering joints were also loose).

Total cost of the repair from the dealer including an alignment which is needed was a staggering 1100. Fortunately my cost was only the alignment and a 20 dollar deductable. Warranty company wouldn't budge on the alignment - said it was an adjustment even though it was required during the part replacement. Supposedly the part is below 200 dollars and the two bushings are only a few dollars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
replace your entire tie-rod assembly (and steering damper), that will get rid of most of the problems. there is a low probability it may be your upper suspension control arms but they rarely fail.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
I had similar sounds that I thought were coming from my shocks. After taking the rear shocks out and replacing each with a spare that I had, I found that the problem was very simple. It ended up that one of the eight bolts that hold the four diagonal crossbars underneath was loose. It just needed to be tightened. Tightening the bolts (and one in particular) fixed the nasty sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
CLK200, 163 hp, dark blue, year 2000
26 Posts
@tbsi430
is this diagonal crossbars available only on convertibles?
because mine doesn't have such bars???

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
san fran brings up my curiosity. can cross bars be put on a non-cab:confused: not trying to spark a manuever/control issue, but it is possible and why wouldn't you want to do it--esp if you do auto cross:cool:--body role variances b/tw the 2 understood.

·
Premium Member
2010 e350
203 Posts
my clk55 has 20,000 miles on it, it never creaked until i changed my shocks with k w coil overs, i am gonna have those bolts checked like tbsi430 specified,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts