Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know the poly urethane bushings can be a pita to get on. But I’ll definitely go for them next time. I couldn’t get my car into a shop this week so hopefully next week.
I guess front upper control arms are cheap so I might as well throw a set in.
I have read a lot about the rear camber link but haven’t found a poly urethane bushing for it. I’ve only found adjustable links. Is there a diy poly urethane bushing for the camber link? My rear tire is wearing on the inner shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I replaced the front upper control arms and rear stabilizer links. There was noticeable wear on the links due to hardened rubber.
I also tightened the front right bearing by 1/4 turn. Again improvement but not completely resolved. I noticed cracks in the front seat bar bushing so I guess it won’t hurt to change them again. I thought they should last more than 3 years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Replaced the upper control arms (l/r)and rear sway bar links and the noise on the right side is even worst. Over bumps it sounds like something is loose. I took it to a shop. They checked all suspension bolts are tight.
That only leaves the steering rack bushings.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,239 Posts
Don't bother with bushings. Replace the rack and pinion.

Common problem. The bushings are pretty solid and last a good 20 year or so. The pinons.... Not so much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi. I’ve done the searches and did lots of reading. Everyone else’s problems seems to have been solved except for mine.
At steering lock left or right, when climbing or descending a curb I get 1 clunk from the front left. It’s intermittent.
I notice excessive inner tire wear so I changed lower control arm bushings, sway bar links and bushings, lower ball joints and adjusted the wheel bearings. I lubed the steering stops.
I checked the upper control arm and tie rod ends and could not find any play. Even with a jack under the LCA to simulate normal load.

Anyone has any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Did you ever figure this out ?
I had this same issue and it was the coil springs and coil pads
New Coil Spring pads and possibly springs will eliminate this clunking when turning (possibly like mine your coil spring is coming unseated when you turn the steering) when climbing and descending your suspension
Check coil spring perches
Steering Rack
That bushing is toast too

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the replies.
I’ll start cheap and go from there. I removed and inspected the spring pads just recently. The left wasn’t set properly the right was fine. No cracks or anything. Running thing is, I solved the noise on the left side with inner tie rods. I replaced the same items in the right side. That’s center jack pad is loose too but I doubt it would make such a noise as it’s been loose for years. So long as I make it back 500km today I will be happy. The steering wheel of off center to the right but it tracks mostly straight.
I guess not highway bahn-storming like I usually do.
In sum I had worn components which caused premature tire wear, I replaced upper and lower ball joints, inner tie rods, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and links, rear sway bar links.
Next rack bushings, rear camber and thrust arms.
This car has been trouble free for 7 years and 30,000km. I can’t say the same for any of others in my fleet so it deserves some money and attention.
And to think I almost traded it in for a W211 E63.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Damn damn damn. I pulled the right side wheels off found only the center jack pad quite loose at the rear the left rear tire has a massive even bulge on the inner half of the tread. The wheel couldn’t stand up. Guess there is my pulling left.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Decided to check the sway bar links again. Yup. The lower bushing had play. I could flip it around between my fingers to get a tap. The upper bushing came out really easy so I know there was play there too. But they were only 2 months old Febi. Thankfully I had the previous ones I removed. Put them in and noise is gone on the right side. Think I’ll try the PU bushings. I’m tired of changing the sway bar links.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts