Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’ve done the searches and did lots of reading. Everyone else’s problems seems to have been solved except for mine.
At steering lock left or right, when climbing or descending a curb I get 1 clunk from the front left. It’s intermittent.
I notice excessive inner tire wear so I changed lower control arm bushings, sway bar links and bushings, lower ball joints and adjusted the wheel bearings. I lubed the steering stops.
I checked the upper control arm and tie rod ends and could not find any play. Even with a jack under the LCA to simulate normal load.

Anyone has any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thank you

Have you replaced the sway bar bushings? That's the most common cause of that sound.
Illstplaya:

Do you mean the frame / bar mount bushing, or the endlink ones go bad ?

I've got a mystery clunk in my rear happpens rarely but under specific conditions.

I will check the sway bar pieces, thank you !

David in East Texas

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I’m replaced the sway bar bushings about 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the sway bar links last week and big donut bushings 2 years ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the front coil spring and noticed the upper seat center cone wasn’t installed properly, by me.
Reset it. Didn’t have a chance to test drive yet. I’ll reply on the results later

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Same one clunk. Full lock Turning left or right going up or down a steep curb. Louder when turning left. I can feel it in the body front left. Sometime slightly heard when I lift the car.
I guess I’ll try the upper control arm next.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You should replace the sway bar bushings. You are doing so much work and spending a lot of money. Always start with the easy and cheap things first.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,244 Posts
Make sure it's not the steering rack. Somewhat a common problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should replace the sway bar bushings. You are doing so much work and spending a lot of money. Always start with the easy and cheap things first.

In my very first post I mentioned I changed the sway bar links a few years ago. I did them again 2 weeks ago. Same noise.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
At full lock -- it could be the rack or if 4matic the axel.

My car was still under CPO about 8 years ago when it hit 100k -- the dealer had basically rebuilt the front end. Car now has 155k and I have done the two things the dealer had not done ... both tie rods ends and both lower ball joints. Both axels as well.

Rebuilding everything on a MB front end is common -- have never touched any of my Lexus .. even at 250k.

Almost any part up there can make a clunk ...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

In my very first post I mentioned I changed the sway bar links a few years ago. I did them again 2 weeks ago. Same noise.

Not sway bark links. Sway bar bushings. These are two different things.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sway bar bushings have a few minor cracks. Otherwise fully intact.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally, with the aid of a friend I felt play in the left inner tie rod and changed it. That was it!! Huge improvement. Then I checked the right side. Yup, but a little play only. I have ordered that part. How to check the rear subframe bushing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just did the right inner tie rod. Again much improved, but there is still a noise from the right. It’s hard to tell if it’s coming from the front or rear. Guess it’s time to take it to the professionals.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well this post inspired me to finally do Sway Bar bushings & endlinks.

Rear is done & amazing increase in roll stiffness AND quietness at the same time.

Installed Siberian Poly bar bushings & Suspensia metal / rubber links.

It either eliminated or quieted by 90% my mystery clunk so its great.

The Fronts I could only locate rubber stock bar bushings, that's OK as the ones on now are undoubtably original & this shrunk of cracked, so these should improve it.

Those front end links look fun to pop on, do you think grease them or remove bar from car to apply more pressure ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts