Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the inner parts of my tires are worn to the cord. My 300 D(newly aquired) also has a little play when steering in either direction, almost like it takes a bit to catch and begin to steer. Any thoughts on why this may be happening? Ball joints is my best guess but not really sure how to test for this???

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Worn tyres

To solve the tyre problem you need to get an alignment check. More than likely the tracking is out.
The play in the steering wheel can be adjusted at the steering box.
It's a long time since i last worked on a w123, but as you look at the steering box from the top, there is a nut about 19mm or 22mm. Slacken the nut off and then i think there is an alan key fittment in the top of the thread.
Hold the nut with the spanner and then turn the alan key clockwise to remove the play.
If its not been adjusted for years, you may need WD40 and elbow grease to get the alan key moving sepeately from the nut.

Don't over adjust it as this will cause the steering to not self centre after truning. It's not a problem but just means you will have to readjust it back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.