Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SL, 2001 E320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that my steering is very loose with lots of play, and that I'm hearing creaking noises quite often, I think it's time for me to have my front end replaced, as well as my subframe mounts. My knowledge of what's involved, while growing rapidly from this site, is still rather limited when it comes to the parts and pieces that comprise the front end, so I thought I'd ask here for some guidance before I proceed with this project.

I'm planning to have my regular (non mb) mechanic help me with this project, since he's very good with general stuff, and he once installed a new front end in my now-sold S430.

Because he doesn't know everything about these cars, and because I want to buy the parts, I would appreciate any guidance on what I'll need.

Do i need to replace all the control arms, and sway bars, etc. or do I just need the bushings? Can I purchase most of the stuff at autohausaz? Are there any other things I should address while I'm doing this service?

Thanks everyone.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
If you don't subscribe to the EPC you should. The link is in the "This Damned Old Car" sticky.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts
First thing I would do...............

Check / replace subframe bushings

Check / replace shocks

Check / replace stabilizer bushings

Check / replace engine mounts

Check / replace steering coupler

Check / replace steering damper

How's it feel?

CCYYZ with a young 560 needed tie rod ends.

It really is standard stuff.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,170 Posts
You need all this stuff. Plus a pair of Bilstein shocks and you should also do engine mounts while your there. It cost about 3 times as much from the dealer but MB rubber is better than aftermarket rubber. My guess is $1200.00 in MB parts.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,318 Posts
^^^ And that is the information you get with an EPC subscription. It is free. Also shows parts diagrams. And it is free.

·
29,494 Posts
^^^ And that is the information you get with an EPC subscription. It is free. Also shows parts diagrams. And it is free.
But Jim........how much does it cost??

·
29,494 Posts
If you are in the USA and have a PC nothing, nada, nill, zilch, zero.
I don't know what it costs in Canada and ROTW.
Sigh.

Can't you just play along?

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,318 Posts
The numbers I ran would not come back. I am not used to putting the A in front. Works now.

·
Registered
1989 560SL, 2001 E320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I can't seem to find the EPC subscription link in the sticky you mentioned, Rowdie.

·
Premium Member
Audi A8, Land Rover
276 Posts

·
Registered
1985 W123 200, 1980 C107 450 SLC, 1979 C107 450 SLC
34 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this is on topic (or at least on the topic that this thread has strayed to)
And it is free
Lies! I'm having trouble filling out the required fields in the subscription form. Firstly it assumes everyone in the world lives in the US; I can't select my country and province. Secondly, it requires me to fill in my credit card details. For a free subscription. Yeah, right. That's going to happen.

Has anyone else (not from the US) managed to subscribe to this. Is this form easy to bullshit?

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,318 Posts
You missed the part about living in the US. The credit card is to prove US residence.

·
Registered
1989 560SL, 2001 E320
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help guys - i finally had the time to get on EPC and it's great! I can see everything. I can't believe i waited this long to use that.

Regarding my steering coupler, how can I really tell if I need a new one, or if it is the reason for the play in the steering. I had a friend turn my steering wheel while I looked into the hood directly at the coupler, using a flashlight, and it I can't really notice any play - it turns with the steering rod. What would I notice, if anything, in the event my coupler was worn out?

I bought one already but for nearly $80, I'd rather not use it if I don't need it.

Thanks.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

If you couldn't see any differential in movement between the the coupler halves then it's probably ok. A loose coupler can also allow the steering wheel to move fore and aft. None of that going on means you should be good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts