Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your kind help in tems of how to access the front dash speakers. One of them is possibly dead and the other is making noise.

I remember seeing some pictures of how to take them out by couldn't quite find them. Based on what I read, I should be able to fit 4x6 in there evenso the stock is 4" on a special holding plate.

Currently, Circuit city has Pioneer 4" x 6" Speakers (TSG4640R) on sale for $40 a pair.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
NewMBie - 4/17/2005 2:51 PM

Need your kind help in tems of how to access the front dash speakers. One of them is possibly dead and the other is making noise.

I remember seeing some pictures of how to take them out by couldn't quite find them. Based on what I read, I should be able to fit 4x6 in there evenso the stock is 4" on a special holding plate.

Currently, Circuit city has Pioneer 4" x 6" Speakers (TSG4640R) on sale for $40 a pair.
I believe there are 2 "+" screws holding the cover on each speaker cover. That will expose the speakers. From there on... there should be some visible screws that are holding the speaker in place.

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is just that easy??!!

Thanks. Will do it as a weekend project.

BTW, are you back in CMH now?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
NewMBie - 4/17/2005 3:43 PM

It is just that easy??!!

Thanks. Will do it as a weekend project.

BTW, are you back in CMH now?
Not yet.. will be back around late June. If you're not far from where I live.. you should check up on coming to the All German Car Show in Dublin(Columbus suburb) thats in the Summer.[8D]

·
Registered
1989 560 SEC
89 Posts
YES. 4x6 speakers will fit perfectly in the spot on the dash. I personally recommend either mb quart or boston accoustics. Here's the trick though. companies make a "euro" version of a 4x6. the difference is they don't have that outer metal plate around the speaker making it a rectangle. Go to here to see the diffence . http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm/Product_ID/72253/

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am looking at a pair of MB Quart COAXIAL DKD146 NEW 4"x6" Titanium on ebay.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEC
89 Posts
NewMBIE

Check out the FX7e by boston acoustic. These are the ones i'm running. You'll find the all around specs much better than the mb quarts. especially sensitivity which is 5dB better meaning better sound clarity/quality. To tell you the truth you can't expect too much out of a 4x6 its just tooo small. And do yourself a favor and just buy them at a car audio store rather than ebay. the speakers are less than a c-note. and if you don't like them you can return them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
sorry about this, but in spite of being discussed to death in the past (many times), i still don't think we ever got a straight answer to the question.

WHAT ARE THE STANDARD SPEAKER SIZES THAT WILL FIT THE FRONT DASH, FRONT DOORS, AND REAR SHELF???

i'm not interested in doing any modifications, just want to take the originals out, and plonk the new ones in....

Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
by the way, since we are on the topic, how does one remove the rear speaker covers???

i get scared every time someone attempts it, as there seems to be too much force being used.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEC
89 Posts
I know the standard speakers in the front were 3.5 inch speakers on a plate. a 4x6 is a good easy replacement for the front dash. side and rear i believe were 6.5 atleast thats the size I was able to put in there no problem. and to remove the rear covers you slide them away from the rear window.

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
The rear speaker covers pull off towards the front of the car with a slight upwards movement to clear the seat back.

Most likely the retaining lug will snap when you pull them off as the plastic covers get brittle with age and heat. Also the foam will disintegrate when you touch it.

A 6 or 6.5in speaker should fit easily into the rears, remove the housing from the old speaker and use it as the speakers cannot sit flush in the deck.

For the fronts the euro spec 4x6 speakers fit pretty easily.

Matt.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Boston Acoustics are the best sounding 4x6's out there, unless you want to modify a little and put in small KEF drivers.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEC
89 Posts
i originally bought the kappas then decided not to go with them for ease sake. I mean to say you have to modify the plate to make it fit. Can't remember whether it was going to fit depth wise either. Either way like I said there is not much you can do to a 4x6 to make it that much greater than the next. its just too small.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I have installed Kappa 4 1/4 rounds w/ some modification.

Jonathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts