1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front cup holder mechanism - need help - Fixed

Hi

I have the ML500 2004 and my passenger cup holder stays open and it is annoying ...
I have got the mechanism out of it and can put it back in, it rotates on two plastic pins that have a slot in them .. see pic.
I need some help in understanding the cup holder mechanism.. esp as to where that small black T shape plastic piece goes and what makes the cup lock into place when you push it back in. ALso should I just order a new cup ..is anything broken?

attached are the images of it disassembled..there is a tiny piece ..that was laying in there which I am still trying to figure out where it goes..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Why don't you just order a new plunger (insulation) #30 and if need be a cup holder. Because these parts are difficult to get to, it is best that you replace them new so this problem is not a recurring one. Here are the part numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not sure if the plunger is the broken..but can you conform it is?

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the passenger side cup holder and I did not need to...
1. pushed down on the top two tabs..
2. and then pushed the pins inward from the top with a small screwdriver.

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you see a part that looks like the "T" in the diagram? I could not identify any in the diagram..maybe it is not a part of the mechanism..can you tell?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
No it is not a separate part. Again, the only way to repair these cup holders is they must be removed from the rear of the instrument panel. Take note that #42 is a screw, which two are required. They hold the entire cup holder from inside the IP.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (SOLD), 2011 BMW X5
157 Posts
43... one of my cupholders is doing the same thing, but I think it's all different for my 99 with cloth interior...?

It's been a while since I looked at it but there is a small plastic rod-like thing which seems to have broken up and is the key piece towards keeping it closed.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
43... one of my cup holders is doing the same thing, but I think it's all different for my 99 with cloth interior...?

It's been a while since I looked at it but there is a small plastic rod-like thing which seems to have broken up and is the key piece towards keeping it closed.
The system is exactly the same. The only thing different is the part numbers for the cup holders. The part that you probably need is the insulation, part #28.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
43sqd

Thanks 43sqd for all your help and diagrams...

Next I am going to try and fix the ashtray ...it will not stay shut ... is there a guide on removing it?

Thx

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Thanks 43sqd for all your help and diagrams...

Next I am going to try and fix the ashtray ...it will not stay shut ... is there a guide on removing it?

Thx
You will have to remove the console to service the ashtray. Your problem is probably part #148, but of course you will have to check it out first.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (SOLD), 2011 BMW X5
157 Posts
The system is exactly the same. The only thing different is the part numbers for the cup holders. The part that you probably need is the insulation, part #28.
I checked and what I see is that #27 is broken and what I need. It is a little arm that fits in the holder receptacle and pivots in an arc to lock/release the holder.

Part numbers 28 and 42 don't appear to be in my car's system at all. 25 may be separable but I didn't want to mess with it.

The pic shows a broken #27. Can this be purchased separately (and if so, what is the partnum?) or does the whole cupholder need to be purchased?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts