Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Febi control arms I had installed - probably unnecessarily - less than four years ago are shot. The issue came up during a long drive earlier this week: lots of creaking noise, harder steering, and some serious handling issues. The main culprit turned out to be the right-side ball joint, but the left-side one wasn't in much better shape, either.

My mechanic absolutely would not let me buy another set of replacement Febis from the local market, insisting instead that I should go online and either just spring for a (hugely expensive) pair of OE control arms, or find me a set of aftermarket ones that are better built than the Febis.

As a temporary solution, he simply "pressed in" the sheet metal backing plates of the ball joints to take up some of the slack caused by the wear, and changed out the rubber bushings with a new set of Febi units (which was a complete waste of money, if you ask me.) The car still drives just as poorly, especially in a straight line.

I know that there isn't a whole lot of fanfare around the forum as to the quality of aftermarket control arms around. In an admittedly cursory search, I found that Corteco's control arms seemed to be the priciest, followed by Monroe and Vaico. Other brands, including ABS, DYS, FAI, Febi (natch!), JP, Moog, Swag, Triscan, and TRW, were much cheaper than the top three most expensive ones (not including OE.)

So...
1. Barring OE, does the pricing of the various aftermarket control arms necessarily reflect their quality? In other words, seeing as it's more than twice as pricy as Febi's, would the ball joint of a Corteco-built control arm be bound to last longer than, say, Febi's ball joint?

2. My particular car's control arms are 124 330 34 07 (left) and 124 330 35 07 (right.) The EPC also lists 36 and 37 - are these Sportline control arms?

3. Given how much more expensive they are, is there anything to be gained by ordering and installing the Sportline (36/37?) control arms instead of the "regular" (34/35) ones? I've got a pair of Sportline front springs lying around, and I've already got Sportline sway bars on the car, so there's that.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Without counting Mercedes Genuine, you listed 12 different brands of LCA. Its a pretty safe bet there isn't a minimum of 13 individual factories out there each with their own source of raw materials, stamping patterns, welding jigs, etc all in the interest of supplying their own attempt at a competitively priced LCA.

If I were to guess (based on my experience with aftermarket parts in a completely different industry) how many different LCAs there actually are, I would say three at most.

If you seriously intend to keep the car indefinitely, then, based on your own experience with aftermarket parts, it doesn't make good financial sense to buy aftermarket parts other than a product that is "back door" from the supplier Mercedes uses. An example would be buying an Eberspacher exhaust rather than a Genuine Mercedes over the counter. I don't know who makes the LCAs for MB but maybe someone with better knowledge can help here (Sbaert where are you?).

If you see this car as a "five year car", then just replace the items with the least expensive ones you can find.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you see this car as a "five year car", then just replace the items with the least expensive ones you can find.
Now that you've mentioned that, I'm about to sign on to a job that would see me splitting my five-day workweek between two cities, with paid plane tickets. My mechanic and everyoneelse - and common sense, for that matter - are saying that I should either keep the car in the original city (Jeddah) and rent some Hyundai or whatever in Riyadh, or just sell it, put the cash elsewhere and cut the cost of ownership altogether, and rent cars as and when needed.

With this development at hand, suddenly, as much as I love the thing, it's starting to make much less sense to keep the car around. That's why I'm having difficulty making a decision on whether I should spend money that I don't yet have on expensive MB OE control arms or go for the cheap and nasty.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Dude, for all you know the next owner might "pole" the car in 6 months and never get to the nasty part of the cheap. I say fix it on the cheap. Sell it. Move on. Good luck with the new assignment.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
From my experience there are three grades of facelift control arms. There's the MB, then one sold under several names including febi, these were mostly made in Spain ones. Then there was the cheapest ones, again sold under several names, origin unknown to me. I never bought one. I ordered and installed Beck Arnley about 5-6 years agohttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SYX116M?tag=champi07-20 and when they arrived we're Spanish febis in B/A bag.
I chose the B/A's because in the picture they looked identical to MB. But they were slightly different than the pic. Matching with the mid tier gloss paint, black boots criteria.
From what I could gather pre-purchase from internet pics was that MB used flat black paint, and the boots had red and blue ( or green?)spring retainer rings on the black bj boot. Top tier also has a clear plastic collar on the bj shaft.
The second tier ones used gloss black paint and the same blue and red rings on black boots. The lowest had either clear or black boots, without the colored rings. These observations seemed to hold true across price points. Some guys would mark the cheaper ones up to mid tier price, but pics said it was the cheap ones. I think mine we're $125 us each from Rock auto. There have been reports of the low end ones having rubber bushings that we're too narrow for the cavity they fit, allowing for slop.
You have sunk a lot of time and cash into keeping the w124 alive, keeping it in the home city or selling are only two logical options I'd say. Also, road conditions will dictate what you do. Does one city have better or worse roads? That will surely shorten the life of suspension.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I remember reading on here at some point that TRW is the OEM for MB. Prices on control arms have gone all over the place in the last five years. I have a set of Febi units in my shed that I paid $200 each for. When I bought them, MB units were close to $400 each.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yes, trw is/ was supplier for MB, but they have two grades. Most obvious identifier is the black vs clear bj boots. Black is better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently purchased a pair of Lemforder LCA for my 1995 A124 Sportline Cabriolet.

It's interesting to note that the rubber bushes in the new Lemforder arms have the same part numbers as in the original arms, and the orientation of the I, II and III marks on the bushes are identical, indicting the same manufacturing process as the Mercedes branded LCA.

Left = 10973 02
Right = 10974 02

Also worth noting that the ball-joint inserts on the original LCA are stamped with both the MB logo and 'TRW', which is a sister company of ZF along with Lemforder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently purchased a pair of Lemforder LCA for my 1995 A124 Sportline Cabriolet.

It's interesting to note that the rubber bushes in the new Lemforder arms have the same part numbers as in the original arms, and the orientation of the I, II and III marks on the bushes are identical, indicting the same manufacturing process as the Mercedes branded LCA.

Left = 10973 02
Right = 10974 02

Also worth noting that the ball-joint inserts on the original LCA are stamped with both the MB logo and 'TRW', which is a sister company of ZF along with Lemforder.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Unless you have come into some NOS stuff, Lemforder suspension parts are now made in China. Maybe they're holding their feet to the fire somehow and maybe they're still the same quality as before......anything is possible although I've seen few things consistently made well from China.

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts

Packaging for both LCA stamped 'Made in Italy'

ZF is a global brand, with many subsidiaries.

I had a detailed discussion with ZF technical here in UK, and they have recently dropped the Lemforder branded parts in favour of TRW.
They claim the same quality and manufacture, simply a consolidation of these now niche 'youngtimer' parts.

I will check with my local motor factor if any of their ZF family parts are made in China, something I personally would doubt given the strength of the ZF brand in Europe.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
So does this mean lemfoerder will be cleared out, and only trw will remain?
Just got some Sachs shocks, another zf brand. Wonder if they will become trw too.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Italy....wow. They are indeed stamped TRW in the pic. This just gets murkier and murkier......I was told production moved to China.

Could you please remove your double post....hard to scroll through two identical sets of pics.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
So does this mean lemfoerder will be cleared out, and only trw will remain?
Just got some Sachs shocks, another zf brand. Wonder if they will become trw too.
Did your Sachs shocks have 'Made in Germany' stamped on them still? Mine did a couple of yrs ago.....just curious.

Kevin

·
Registered
742 Posts
Careful, Roberts link is for pre facelift cars. I don't remember what car op has. They are not interchangeable.
So the Description is bogus?

"Without 4-matic, 300 series, without sportline. Without 4-matic, 300 series, e320. All. 2wd. Sl600. Right. 300ce. 300te. To vin c017668. From vin c017669. Without 4-matic, 400e, e420."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts