Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 98 e320 bought couple months ago. I can not see the display of climate control console in dark. Stereo lights up, even the cold heat buttons and all the others but display does not light. I have to turn the interior lamp on to see the display.
Thanks in advance.

tolga

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
There is a small bulb (or perhaps two) on the bottom of the unit. You need the radio keys to extract the unit from the dash (look for the small slots in the bottom of the AUTO keys).

Welcome to the forum, Tolga.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I thought this was in the stickies? :confused:

My welcome too, tolga. If you take time to look through the help/diy stickies at the top of this forum you'll find lots of answers to issues you'll face with your car and combine that with the creative use of the search function and you'll answer most of them.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem and didn't see anything on the climate control lights. So here's how you do it

Things required.

2 Audio removal tools
1 Replacement climate control light bulb (get from dealer)
1 Small tweezers

Step 1.
Get your audio removal tools.

Step 2.
Remove the deck.

Step 3.
Flip your deck upside down and get your tweezers. Rotate the light bulb, 90 degrees and pull out the light bulb. Replace and put the deck back in.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
'99 E320 '00 M5
5 Posts
Does anyone happen to have the part number for that bulb? I found it one time online from this site that sells parts(I think it was 2 brothers doing it), but have since lost the link. Does "A 002 544 02 94" sound right?

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic; 2004 E320 4Matic wagon; 1997 F-150; Ducati Monster; a few others...
10 Posts
Part numbers

I just bought a replacement bulb from my dealer to install in my '99 E320.

Part number: 072601-012230
Description: C1-02 Bulb
Retail price: $4.80

This is a nice thread with helpful pictures. It seems like this is a common problem, but this thread wasn't stickied anywhere or incorporated into the DIY electrical/climate control/interior threads.

Maybe my forum search skills aren't up to par? :confused: [I searched. Seriously!]

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
It is hard to find good information with a search. Not impossible, but really not easy. That's what the DIY stickys are for, of course. I see a new post in the Suggestion thread but haven't read it yet; however, I just had a premonition.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4Matic; 2004 E320 4Matic wagon; 1997 F-150; Ducati Monster; a few others...
10 Posts
It is hard to find good information with a search. Not impossible, but really not easy. That's what the DIY stickys are for, of course. I see a new post in the Suggestion thread but haven't read it yet; however, I just had a premonition.
Your premonitory skills are excellent, sir. :thumbsup:

I made a suggestion in the DIY "Suggestion" thread...

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Just to update this thread with the Mercedes part number for the bulb: 002 544 02 94

Sylvania 2721 also works.

·
Registered
'99 E320 '00 M5
5 Posts
FWIW, the dealer charged me $6.00 for this tiny bulb. I have seen it as low as $1.52 and $0.78(depending on which part # you put in) at aboveallmotorwerks. No experience with them personally, but the cost to ship it here killed any savings that I would have seen.

·
Registered
2000 E55
107 Posts
Readily available at home radio pull tools

Just an FYI for any of you looking to perform this DIY on a whim with out the radio puller tools. I was able to just insert two collared dress-shirt stays (the little plastic things you put in the collar to keep the points sharp/straight). They go in to the slots at the bottom of the "AUTO" buttons on the A/C controls. I was then able to just pry out the unit a little at a time with my finger tips alternating left and right sides.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
'03 C320 4Matic Wagon
321 Posts
what about if the other cc buttons, etc. *don't* light either?

Hello,

I have a 98 e320 bought couple months ago. I can not see the display of climate control console in dark. Stereo lights up, even the cold heat buttons and all the others but display does not light. I have to turn the interior lamp on to see the display.
Thanks in advance.

tolga
I have this problem too -- but on my '99 wagon the other cc lights (that Tolga *does* see) don't light up. Are there more bulbs to be found in the CC unit? Where?

·
Premium Member
2000 E320 , 1993 190E, 1982 380SEC (R.I.P.),1998 S420
43 Posts
thanks for posting instructions on how to change the light on the a/c display unit.
this is a great thread for what seems to be a very common problem

my light has never worked ever since i had the car, about 5 years ago. at some point i was even looking out for replacement displays on ebay and other sites, but then i found the forum and this thread and "voila" the light is on again.

the light costed me about $4 at advance auto parts and the removal keys about $3 on ebay

thanks again for the instructions
great thread

·
Premium Member
99 BMW R1100RT, 05 MB C230, 07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT
5,787 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bulb in the dash burned out. I read the directions, made my own keys, pulled the unit about half way out, replaced the bulb with the Sylvana 2721, pushed it back in, and problem solved.

Thank you Benzworld! You guys make the impossible, so very possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I/m still a newbie here but is it possible that after I change out this bulb that there is another problem to make it not light up. I changed it out per procedure and it still doesn't light up. the climate control works fine except for not being able to see it at night. Any help on the subject is appreciate.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts