Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E 320 CDI
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enthusiasts-my cdi's cigarette receptacle died on my yearly trip out west with 326000 miles. I use it only for charging, air pump, and cassette player. I took out the ash tray ect. and checked power to the power plug and it's hot. For the life of me I can't get the receptacle out of the ash tray. I found the part number is 0008201853 and will drive 2 hrs to pick one up in Boise (I'm in Ketchum) and install but I have the ash tray out and can't figure out how to get the receptacle out of the ash tray housing. Someone has done this before I know. Any suggestions? I'm being fairly gentle as I don't want to break the housing as I'm sure it's expensive. Thanks, steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
IIRC, there's a tiny screw at the center bottom of the receptacle that secures the entire receptacle together. Remove screw, then disassemble the receptacle and reassemble onto the replacement housing.

·
Registered
2005 E 320 CDI
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wentext-just went over the housing with a Maglite and magnifying glass. Can't find screw. I will continue trying to find it. I ordered a new element from Boise MB and will drive there to get the part and an oil change. I'm traveling and I use the receptacle for phone, tire pump and cassette player, so it's used a lot. Maybe the new part will shed some light on removal and installation. I will however continue to search for the screw and/or get the socket out before Friday(appointment for oil change) and report back. There appears to be a black plastic collar that needs to be turned to release the clear plastic housing which is not budging. Maybe the configuration of the outlet has changed? Mine is a 2005 e320 cdi. I will keep looking for the screw. Thanks, steve

·
Registered
2005 E 320 CDI
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Konigstiger-thanks. Friday, I will see the new part and I hope then that everything will be clearer and I can solve the problem. As I'm traveling, I also have minimal tools. A lesson learned concerning bringing a better selection of tools I hope.

·
Registered
2005 E 320 CDI
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enthusiasts-ordered a new element from Mercedes of Boise. Drove over from Ketchum (2hr 40 min) and thought I'd be able to figure out the install and get an oil change while I was there and then take a scenic route back. Checked the vehicle in (2005 cdi 326000mi) and talked to the parts man. After looking at the new part for a few minutes and messing with a screw driver, the parts guy said, "I'll be right back". A couple of minutes later he returned and said a new element was installed. Gave me the old element and said no charge. I haven't reinstalled it yet however. He said there's a special tool and by the instructions from Konigstiger, it appears like a pair of outward spreading pliers or something similar is needed. The instructions themselves are not crystal clear from my perspective. First time I received something free from M-B. I think I paid for it in the $164 oil change. steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts