Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've been noticing that my front dash speaker has started to crap out. Does anyone know how to access the speaker? Is it simply prying off the grill on the dash center is is it more complicated? Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update, in case anyone is interested...:

I purchased the speaker from Mercedes Benz Parts Online and replaced it this afternoon. Not difficult but just be careful with the plastic.

Pic1: Use a plastic spatula or (in my case) a door panel clip removal tool.

Pic2: Carefully pry the left corner (towards you), then gently move across the panel. There are four metal retaining clips that will pop out. Once all four clips are released, grab the panel with both hands and pull it toward you, thereby releasing the front plastic tabs from the dash. There is an electrical connector that you squeeze and pull to remove from the panel.

Pic3 & 4: Two plastic tabs are incorporated into the speaker frame which simply pop off the securing eyelets inside the dash. Be careful not to pull the speaker too hard as their is a small connector that you need to pull off.

Pic5: Panel underside...

This procedure took me about 20 minutes because I wasn't sure how to remove the panel so I took extreme caution not to damage anything.

NOTE: I made the mistake of ordering the wrong speaker! The unit I purchased is part of the Audio 20 system (Part #: 1728200602) whereas I have the HK upgraded system which calls for Part #: 1728200702. Both speakers appear to look identical, however; the HK unit may have a higher wattage threshold or more dynamic range or...? Anyway, I still installed the 06-02 speaker and it sounds fine. At least the cracking is gone. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update, in case anyone is interested...:

I purchased the speaker from Mercedes Benz Parts Online and replaced it this afternoon. Not difficult but just be careful with the plastic.

Pic1: Use a plastic spatula or (in my case) a door panel clip removal tool.

Pic2: Carefully pry the left corner (towards you), then gently move across the panel. There are four metal retaining clips that will pop out. Once all four clips are released, grab the panel with both hands and pull it toward you, thereby releasing the front plastic tabs from the dash. There is an electrical connector that you squeeze and pull to remove from the panel.

Pic3 & 4: Two plastic tabs are incorporated into the speaker frame which simply pop off the securing eyelets inside the dash. Be careful not to pull the speaker too hard as their is a small connector that you need to pull off.

Pic5: Panel underside...

This procedure took me about 20 minutes because I wasn't sure how to remove the panel so I took extreme caution not to damage anything.

NOTE: I made the mistake of ordering the wrong speaker! The unit I purchased is part of the Audio 20 system (Part #: 1728200602) whereas I have the HK upgraded system which calls for Part #: 1728200702. Both speakers appear to look identical, however; the HK unit may have a higher wattage threshold or more dynamic range or...? Anyway, I still installed the 06-02 speaker and it sounds fine. At least the cracking is gone. Hope this helps.
This was an incredible help to me. There is no information on stuff like this about the GLA 250 out there it seems. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts