Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 ML320. I replaced the rear brake pads without difficulty. However, when attempting to remove the front caliper pins, I broke the toeq socket off inside the pin. I was considering cutting off the protective rubber boot over the pin and seeing if I could get a vice grip on the pin. Any other suggestions?
Second, I had the tires installed at a local mass retailer a year ago. Without going into detail, they did a poor job which resulted in my having to threaten legal action (they left the rear lugs loose and damage the rim). Now, a year later I discovered the cross threaded two front lug bolts. Can anyone advice the lug bolt size so I can see if I can get the correct die to chase the threads.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,992 Posts
Vise grip won't do. You will have to use a pipe wrench.

As for the size of the lug bolts, the tap that you will need is 14mmx1.50. But when it comes to wheels and what they go through every day and the weight they support, I would suggest getting a new hub, but that choice is yours.

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
541 Posts
I'm having trouble visualizing what you broke but it sounds like you'll need an extractor.

I second hub replacement as there is no cost effective or reliable way to repair the hub.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Stuff like that is why no one ever touches my vehicles but me.
That must really piss you off.
It looks like the damage is already done, just get a big pair of vice grips and see what you can do on the caliper, that has worked for me before on other peoples cars.

As for the wheel bolts you may need a new hub if they were cross threaded you can try to tap it but it may not hold the proper torque afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I picked up a tap and will see if I can clean up the threads. The cross threaded bolts seem to have held and I was told the hub is hardened so the bolt threads will strip before the hub. Once I do this, if the bolts cannot be torqued propely, I will replace the hub.

On the caliper bolts, the rear caliper has two regular bolts with hex heads right out in the open. On the front calipers, the bolts are cap screws and the heads are protected by rubber boots. Why, I cannot undersatnd but to get anything like grips on the heads of the screws, I will need to take that rubber off which was my concern. The broken tool is hardened and I doubt I could ever use an extractor (which would be the preferred method otherwise. I will give this a try. Worse case, I will replace the caliper.

Thank again. And yes, is really did piss me off to think that some person would risk another's life by allow the car to go out. I guess they were protecting thier jobs?

What is interesting is the factthe mass retailer has a disclaimer on their work order that the customer must receck the tightness of the lugs!

·
Registered
02 ML320, 2013 E350 Sport
464 Posts
Thanks everyone! I picked up a tap and will see if I can clean up the threads. The cross threaded bolts seem to have held and I was told the hub is hardened so the bolt threads will strip before the hub. Once I do this, if the bolts cannot be torqued propely, I will replace the hub.

On the caliper bolts, the rear caliper has two regular bolts with hex heads right out in the open. On the front calipers, the bolts are cap screws and the heads are protected by rubber boots. Why, I cannot undersatnd but to get anything like grips on the heads of the screws, I will need to take that rubber off which was my concern. The broken tool is hardened and I doubt I could ever use an extractor (which would be the preferred method otherwise. I will give this a try. Worse case, I will replace the caliper.

Thank again. And yes, is really did piss me off to think that some person would risk another's life by allow the car to go out. I guess they were protecting thier jobs?

What is interesting is the factthe mass retailer has a disclaimer on their work order that the customer must receck the tightness of the lugs!
Please give us an update on the front caliper bolt. I have the same sitution but it happened after I replaced the pads. I will deal with it when its time to replace the pads again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
I don't think that disclamer is legal, you should do some checking. It is required by law that they tigten the lugs with a torque wrench to the proper specs...

·
Registered
1 Posts
caliper bolt head

Hi Guys did anyone have a solution for this, I have had the T40 torqu break off trying to undo the Bolt, and the bit is jammed in. Tried drilling it and the nut and bolt are both hardened. At the moment I am driving around with one new set of pad and one old set, and hoping it works lose? :(
Did you manage to get it off with a pipe wrench?

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys did anyone have a solution for this, I have had the T40 torqu break off trying to undo the Bolt, and the bit is jammed in. Tried drilling it and the nut and bolt are both hardened. At the moment I am driving around with one new set of pad and one old set, and hoping it works lose? :(
Did you manage to get it off with a pipe wrench?

David
Use a pick or magnet to get the T-40 broken piece out of the bolt. Suggestion, buy a good one next time. I suggest Craftsman or Snapon and it won't happen again.

Mike
msp177

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
Use a pick or magnet to get the T-40 broken piece out of the bolt. Suggestion, buy a good one next time. I suggest Craftsman or Snapon and it won't happen again.

Mike
msp177
Mike, I don't know if you noticed but this post dates back to 2009.
Mike

·
Registered
02 ML320, 2013 E350 Sport
464 Posts
Mike, I don't know if you noticed but this post dates back to 2009.
Mike
Although it's an old post, were' still interested on the outcome. I'll be replacing my pads pretty soon and I will have to deal with this problem. Thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts