Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone dented my front bumper over the weekend (minor dent to the left of the oil cooler.) The left side is now slightly pushed-in and up towards the wheel well- I took off the skid plate and everything looks normal - I read an archived message here about someone replacing the entire bumper (they were making a claim on their insurance.) Is it a simple fix for me just to remove it and have it pounded out? None of the hardware/brackets seem to have been effected (the skid plate did move slightly, but the bolts seemed to have been loose.) Also it looks like there is locktight on the 2 bolts that attach the bumper to the frame - is this the case? Thanks in advance.

Hey Dutch - Is there any way to change my username in this board? After a couple of years it looks strange [:p] I wouldn't have thought back then I could have gotten this truck...

I know you had some front-end work on your 463- how fast were the vehicles moving? This damage to my truck must have happened at speed...

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
NewBuyer - 5/3/2005 3:05 AM

Someone dented my front bumper over the weekend (minor dent to the left of the oil cooler.) The left side is now slightly pushed-in and up towards the wheel well- I took off the skid plate and everything looks normal - I read an archived message here about someone replacing the entire bumper (they were making a claim on their insurance.) Is it a simple fix for me just to remove it and have it pounded out? None of the hardware/brackets seem to have been effected (the skid plate did move slightly, but the bolts seemed to have been loose.) Also it looks like there is locktight on the 2 bolts that attach the bumper to the frame - is this the case? Thanks in advance.

Hey Dutch - Is there any way to change my username in this board? After a couple of years it looks strange [:p] I wouldn't have thought back then I could have gotten this truck...

I know you had some front-end work on your 463- how fast were the vehicles moving? This damage to my truck must have happened at speed...
My accident happend at speed with a 3000 lb camper trailer pushing from behind.

There are two bolts on each side, and there's a bit of slide adjustment possible.

I'll contact one of the list owners to help you with the username change. They have to do it.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
NewBuyer - 5/3/2005 2:05 AM

I'm thinking about replacing my bumper w/ the 463 tow pin bumper and moving my trans cooler back to the G55 location. If you can wait a while I'll have a silver bumper off a 2002 to sell.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
DUTCH - 5/3/2005 3:12 AM
. . . There are two bolts on each side, and there's a bit of slide adjustment possible.
Interesting. On my 300GE there were four bolts, two on each side, on the outside of the frame rails.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
??

Captain Spalding - 5/3/2005 10:25 AM

DUTCH - 5/3/2005 3:12 AM
. . . There are two bolts on each side, and there's a bit of slide adjustment possible.
Interesting. On my 300GE there were four bolts, two on each side, on the outside of the frame rails.
Isn't that essentially what I "said"?[8)]

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
You can try to have it bent back inshape, however they seem to be pretty thick. I would just look on the boards and see if you can find a used one and replace it. No reason to have a insurance clame unless there is a lot of damage. Or just leave it the way it is. A G with a little damage is not a blimish in some peoples eyes.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DUTCH - 5/3/2005 6:12 AM

There are two bolts on each side, and there's a bit of slide adjustment possible.
That's good news. I thought I would have to unscrew everything (lamps, cooler, etc.) just to slide it out. The dent itself is minor. Thanks all,
m

ps - if the username change is a hassle, I'll just re-register.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
NewBuyer - 5/3/2005 1:24 PM

That's good news. I thought I would have to unscrew everything (lamps, cooler, etc.) just to slide it out. The dent itself is minor. Thanks all,
You'll have to undo the lights and cooler, too. Also, the outside temp sensor, if you have one. Sorry. I was only thinking of what attaches it to the truck.

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
You will have to remove the oil cooler as well. It is screwed in with four screws as I recall. Not a bad job in all. If you need it, when I replaced my 1999 G500 bumper with one with a tow pin, I took pics etc of the job. There are two bolts on each bracket which mount the bumper to the frame. If you use the tow pin bumper from a 463, you will need to shorted the left bumper mount to clear the powersteering mount on the G500.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DUTCH - 5/3/2005 2:19 PM

NewBuyer - 5/3/2005 1:24 PM

You'll have to undo the lights and cooler, too. Also, the outside temp sensor, if you have one. Sorry. I was only thinking of what attaches it to the truck.
For my purposes your advice was great (I didn't have much time to fix it, but I was able to loosen the bolts and pull the bumper back to a neutral position.) I may try to fix the dent later (It does affect the direction of one of the running lights.)

MB230 - I'm in no hurry to replace the bumper but may be interested- about how much would you want for your old bumper? (I've been hemorrhaging money recently [B)])

Has anyone replaced their front license plate holder with a US sized one? (I saw the incredible Brabus G that a forum member posted had one.) Are they easy to come by?

Thanks for all the advice on the bumper - I would have spent twice as long without help. Also the skid plate, which has been crooked since I bought it, is now perfectly straight - there was a stripped bolt (that I need to replace...)

m

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
MB230 - I'm in no hurry to replace the bumper but may be interested- about how much would you want for your old bumper? (I've been hemorrhaging money recently [B)])

m
A new one is roughly $850 - I'd ask less than 1/2 that. I'll probably pick up the 463 tow pin bumper this fall while in Europe so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts