Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 S500/ 97 C230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has happen before, but I wanted to know has anyone replaced the front clip of any S500? Basically, the lower molding of he bumper has caught enough "parking stoppers" that it has eventually cracked on the passenger side. Should I replace that whole clip or is there an inexpensive why of doing this? Thanks

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Belive it or not, the bumper is easy. It is held on by the two bolts that serve as hood stops, and two more that are accessed thru the two panels in the lower bumper. The sides slide into brackets on the fender. It is probably a two person job, due to lining it up. Maybe you will be lucky and find one the same color, otherwise paint it to match!
There are probably screws holding the encapsuation panel undeneath, and maybe the wheel well, take care to remove the temp sensor and dont slam hood without the stops adjusted (the stops could get caught in the hood grill) To replace horns and w/s washer tank this is the recommended proceedure.

·
Registered
97 S500/ 97 C230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 4 the info, would you have any data regarding places to locate one? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
There are bumper repair shops that specialize in repairing plastic bumpers.

They'll use fiberglass and flexible "bondo" like filler, etc. They may be able to deal with your tear. Could be worth looking into. Then again, there's nothing like starting fresh with a new one.

Brett

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
I have the same issue. I have a vertical "rip" in the valence right below the passenger side tow hook cover. I (not my wife) parked over a parking stop and then proceeded to load up the car with four people and all their luggage. Pulled out and RIP!!!! Almost tore the entire lower lip off.[:(!]
The best price I could find was about $1300 for a new cover and paint. The cover alone was about $980 or so. Too much.
I "stiched" the tear and a few broken mounting points back together with stainless safety wire. I then went to the dealership and ordered touch-up spray paint- yes spray paint. They had to order it from Germany. It was about $27 for the two part system. It comes with both paint and clear coat. I painted the entire lower half of my bumper. The paint is a perfect match! If you go this route, make sure you specify that it's the bumper your painting. 1997 (I think)and on models with the monochromatic paint scheme actually have a semi-gloss application below the beltline. I still plan on having the cover replaced eventually but in the meantime this will do fine.

PS- If you look carefully, you'll see the tow hook covers are not the right color. Both were casualities in the misshap. The paint shop tried to match but it doesn't look right. I'll re-paint with the rattle can as soon as I find the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 S-420; 91 300SL; 88 300TE; 84 190D; 01 GMC Denali
235 Posts
I had a ripped-up bumper on my 1994 S420. I ordered a replacement bumper from Mercesdesshop.com for about $600.00 and then took the bumper to a quality body shop and had it painted to match the rest of the plastic lower panels. That cost me about $300.00. I let the bumper "cure" for a time and then with me on one side and my girlfriend on the other, put the bumper in place and I started the bolts. I must say the job turned out perfect.

Also...I must say that I took a different approach with my son's front bumper on his 1991 320SL. It was badly broken and I placed metal strips across the breaks and fastened with rivets and then touch-up paint. It was very inexpensive and turned out great. Of course...if you examine it close-up you'll see the rivets...but it was a good repair and not expensive. Infact...if money were an issue with my S420, I would have done the rivet job there too. It looked that good.[:)]

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
I "stiched" the tear and a few broken mounting points back together with stainless safety wire.
It was badly broken and I placed metal strips across the breaks and fastened with rivets and then touch-up paint.
I too have this problem and it's gotten to the point of needing to be addressed.

Can you gentlemen please specify more?

How did you stitch the tear with safety wire, pchasen1?

And what type of metal strips / rivets did you use, Benz-Friend?

Are these items found at Home Depot?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,878 Posts
I agree with Nathan. One can buy fibreglass kits most anywhere. Another option is marine grade epoxy but it is pricey. There is a company here in Cathedral City that repairs bumpers called "Bumper Pro" They use an epoxy material on both sides then grind it down. They also wanted $900. I would think the strongest solution would be to double glass the hidden side and put automotive epoxy on the visible side then sand it out.
Anziani

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
There's an industrial equivalent to the body shop polyurethane epoxy called Devcon, by a division of ITW.

www.devcon.com

You can buy it at Grainger or other industrial supply houses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts