Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to replace the front rotors on my 1983 300D. Do I have to replace the bearings? It doesnt look like it from the pics from other posts. Im not looking for an opinion but a reply regarding how long the existing bearings last. Im not getting any noises normally associated with failed bearings and the car rolls... Any problem using bearings from a local chain? I usually try to stick with Autohaus AZ due to their low pricing on OE parts.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
If the bearings are in good condition (ie not rusty or burnt) there is no reason why you can't simply clean and repack them.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
A visual inspection will tell you if you can reuse the old Bearings. However, keep the Bearings for the same wheel with that wheel.
Don't forget a new Seal for each Hub.

Another caution. Despite the fact that I since 1968 have been able to adjust front Wheel bearing end play by hand on all of the other vehicles I have owned. When I did it on my Mercedes the result was that I got it too tight and overheated the Grease in the hubs while driving.

I start over and remove the roasted Grease re-grease the Bearings and spent about 3 hours finding my Dial Indicator set-up that I had not seen for about 10 years.
After setting it up as per the Factor Service Manual using the Dial Indicator I have had no issues for 2-1/2 years now.

On the Bearings. All of the parts I have bought from Autohaus have been good ones. The Rear Window Regulator I bought actually arrived with the Mercedes part number and Star on it a OM part.

I have also found that once you have the Bearing and Bearing Race number you can go on eBay and get good quality made in the US or Japanese bearings at a good price.

However, for use on a Front Wheel bearing I doubt if a made in China bearing (that your local parts place most likely sells) would have any failure issues as long as they are properly greased..
But, due to the work involved I would not use the made in China Wheel Bearings on the Rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts