Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S420
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gona change my front brake pads this weekend,
I tried doing a search here about changing the front brake pads and no luck. I remember a while ago some had posted up pictures reguarding changing the front brake pads and saying that it was prety easy to change. Can some one help mreguarding this matter?
do i use regular brake fluid or dose it have to be a special MBZ fluid?

thankx every one.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Regular should be good enough .. Remember its not rocket science BUT..your brakes are a CRITICAL part of your car.. If you don't feel confident.. or you have no experience with changing brake parts.. The best thing would be to get a friendly mech. or tech to help you.. otherwise.. Take it to a local shop and let them do it for you..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have changed the pads myself once.
I would change the pads only if the brake pad indictor in the dashboard is on
I would only use Benz dealer sold pads.
All the others (Mintex etc.) squeal like crazy.
I had to remove the Mintex and reinstall with OE MB parts from my dealer.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Disc brake pads are very, very easy. If you do the pads yourself, you'll

want to make sure to measure rotor thickness and replace the rotors if they have worn past factory specs. I don't know what the minimum thickness is for your car. Someone can tell you I'm sure. If your brake pad wear light is on, you'll have to replace the sensor that triggered the light. They are destroyed in the process of triggering the warning lamp. If you're not sure of which one it was, then just replace all wear sensors.

I don't recommend buying pads from the dealership parts counter. Plenty of online parts suppliers have the identical OEM pads for much cheaper than the dealership (board sponsor autohausaz.com, for example). I've bought a bunch of routine maintenance items from them. Great operation.

I don't have any pics to document the process for you b/c I haven't had to do it yet. I'm shocked no one has posted documentation (that I've seen anyway). But, here is a brilliant set of instructions on how to do a pad change on a Porsche Boxster.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/change_pads/

The W140 brakes are nearly identical with the exception that the W140 brakes have 2 retaining pins instead of one, with a different shaped spring to go along, and the wear sensors will look different. You'll know what I'm talking about if you print out the link above and then go look at your W140 brakes. The pad change process is identical, however.

Brett

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I had my 92 done a while back repacing front rotors /pads and rear pads. The work ticket (high as alway$) came back with the note " remove guide pins per service info". I dont know, they did not elaborate!
They also repaced 140-540-95--05 "engine wiring harness cracked)1.5 hrs plus the part, at N/C. Is this the dreaded harness?
I think this is the answer:

M.B.DOC07-19-2004, 08:13 AM
The engine harness IS the fuel injector harness. THERE are also left & right engine area harness, however they rarely need replacement!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
http://www.mercedesshop.com/e_class_brakejob.htm

The above link featuring the 94 430 E Class (w124) might offer some help. The front brakes pictured on the 94 E430 are practically the same as your S Class.

As suggested make sure the discs/rotors are not worn beyond permissible wear limit. As you view the rotor from the side, look for an indention - this will indicate the wear limit of the rotor/disc.

If the disc/rotors have sufficent surface life remaining, I normally remove the disc and and have it turned on a lathe at any local Pepboys, Autozone. Of course this adds several more steps to your break job. Having the disc turned, will remove any "run-out or warping" of the rotor.

If your rotors show minimal wear, just replace the pads. :)

Make sure you always torque the wheel lug nuts properly to prevent rotor warping.

Russell

·
Registered
1994 S420
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thank all of you for the imput and information. I have done ford and chevy brake jobs on the cars i have had in the past, this brake job looks much easier, but we will see.
Once again, thankx to all! [:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts