Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300CD
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the front pads last night and took it for a spin and it ran great. There were no issues with the brakes previously, just squeaking from the pads being shot.

Now this morning I had a terrible clunk from the front right and the caliper seemed to lock up at one point. I backed up and it loosened up but clunked at every bump as I limped home, and got really bad every time I applied the brakes. Luckily I was only a mile from home so I just parked it and drove the truck to work without looking into it further.

The calipers have round/donut shim-looking things that attach around the rubber seal on both inner and outer sides of the caliper piston. The shims have two small tabs at the bottom that seem to be stop for the pads. The calipers are Bendix brand and did not have the brake sensors I've read about in other threads. The new pads came with shims that were the exact same shape as the back of the pads, but the old pads did not have these shims, so I just reused the donut shaped shim that was already on there.

Again, I haven't had a chance to look into this but any thoughts are welcome so I know what to look for when I get home. Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I believe the front and the rear Brakes came with Heat Shields on the Caliper Pistons.
I believe I have read from some people that the rebuilt rear calipers sometimes do not come with the Heat Shields.
Both the Girlings and the ATEs are like that.

You will need to inspect; besure to check the Caliper Bolts that bolt them to the Steering Knuckle.
Perhaps the Brake Pad Retaining Pins are having issues.

You did not say exactly what you did.

If you only changed the Pads once the Pads were pulled you would have needed to push the Caliper Pistons back into the Caliper Body. There is often a bunch of muck on the bottom of the Bore.
Shoving the Pistons back against the much causes that stuff to get under the Piston.

If you did not have the Brake Bleeder Screw open when the Pistons were pushed in the old mucky Fluid was forced back towards the Master Cylinder and even into it.

Jack the the front of the Car up and have someone step on the Brakes hard and release them. Right after that you rotate a front Wheel and see what happens.
If it does not free up quickly after you rotate it either there muck in binding up the Cliper Pistons or your Brake System is not allowing the Fluid to return properly.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Check the caliper bolts!!! I do my own brakes as well and have learned the hard way to really tighten them and put that blue thread lock paste on them. They will loosen themselves if it's not tight!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts