Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 LeBaron, 66 Valiant, 96 850, 46 PV60/MB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
I am building/restoring a 1946 Volvo with more modern stuff.

For the front axle, I am 90% sure that I will skip the "standard" Mustang 2 and instead go for a mid 70s 107 axle. Reasons: correct trackwidth, double wishbone, and good brakes.

However, before finally buying one, I am in need of specs for the steering knuckle and axle. The most important issues first:

1. Scrub radius value. I know that Mercedes made a point about W123 having neutral scrub radius. But when it comes to 107/115 I have been googling myself crazy to find the number. Some say it is neutral, but when I do (very rough) measuring I get it at 40-50 mm (appr 1" 9/16-2"). I do know caster, camber and KPI. But can anyone with some certainty tell me the correct scrub radius value (and of course, based on what tire size and what wheel offset)?

2. Steering knuckle material. I may need to do modifications to knuckle. Is it weldable or not? (I will leave welding to professionals, but if it is cast iron I won´t even try that)

3. General characteristics. I am not building a race car but a comfort driver, and I do imagine that with long control arms and long coils, this axle will be more comfort than "stiff Mercedes" ;-) . Correct?

4. In original, this axle is rubber mounted. But I will probably have to weld it to frame. Does anyone have an idea what this will do to comfort, if anything? (The engine is a L6 Volvo = well balanced and low vibrations.)

5. Known weaknesses and "look out for"-things on this axle?

6. For regulatory reasons, it will be important being able to easily adjust camber and caster. If there are any known special ones here, please share with me. Otherwise, I will just fabricate movable brackets for the upper control arms.

7. What differs 107 from 115 axles? Brakes, coil sizing I do know, but anything else?

Any help is greatly appreciated, especially on 1 since that is the do-or-die when it comes to axle/knuckle choice.

Thanks!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

First off, welcome to BW107.

5. Known weaknesses and "look out for"-things on this axle?
Read this for starters.

1. Scrub radius value.
Here's a link to the Model 107 Service Manual. You might find that info there.

3. General characteristics. I am not building a race car but a comfort driver, and I do imagine that with long control arms and long coils, this axle will be more comfort than "stiff Mercedes" ;-) . Correct?
Yes, you're on the right track.

7. What differs 107 from 115 axles? Brakes, coil sizing I do know, but anything else?
The subframe, or the axle carrier, as MB names it, is the same as the W115. The control arms and their associated components and steering linkages I do not know. I sent you a PM regarding the MB-USA EPC, which will let you compare component part numbers across the various model lines.

Sections 32 and 33 in our EGv107 reference library have several front suspension threads you may want to peruse.

·
Registered
89 LeBaron, 66 Valiant, 96 850, 46 PV60/MB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, Dave. Specially the recall thread was fascinating (and also gave me the camber/caster answer...). Good job there by lots of people involved.

After your tips and a good round of part no comparisons, I now believe I have a clue on most of my questions. (Knuckle exc ABS, control arm, subframe = totally interchangeable 107/115, exceptions for 560).

However, I still lack knowledge of the most important one (1) for me... So, anyone else who knows the scrub radius of a 107/115 knuckle?

Thanks from Sweden!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts