Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, there are 2 sets of catalytic converters on my 32, primary and secondary,...

If I have the secondaries removed when I put an exhaust on, will these increase my performance, gas mileage, sound, etc?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Make sure it does not have an O2 sensor behind the secondary converter.....

<br> <br> if it does, DO NOT change or remove the converter.<br> It will give you tremendous response because there is alot less back pressure and the exhaust sound will change also. What out for the 'BLACK BOX'. It will record any change you do to the car and you can be jail for that if they ever download the INFO in the ECU and use it against you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jailed? Black box? What are these? I live in an area which there are no emmision tests....

I have looked an do not see any sensors on or beyond the sencondary converters, that's why I was considering removal. I have been told that lower back pressure at lower rpms creates a situation where the engine will not create as much torque. That was my main concern, and secondly I didn't want it to sound loud, or 'ricey'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the feds have better things to do than jailing guys making changes to their cars

The worst that would happen is that you wouldnt be able to get your car licensed<br> <br> Besides that, just who the heck would be downloading info from you ecu? I doubt that is included in any state emission test.<br> <br> The dealer could, but somehow I doubt that they routinely forward the results to the FBI. (Its a federal crime to mess with emissions, not state).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do street racing...usaully on Friday and Saturday and the police tow your car...that is....

<br> when the black box came in. Trust me, My friend got find $$$$ and second time is ..JAIL!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chickennuts.....You are so LUCKY. i would remove the CONVERTER if i live where you live. It give....

<br> the engine a tremendous response when you step on the throtle. I live in California, so the emmision is very very strict. On my car, there is a third O2 sensor behind the CONVERTER. So if i remove the converter, it will definately give the ECU fault reading. The 'BLACK BOX' work like in the Air Plane. It will record every reading that is not running within MFG spec and it record time and date when it went out of spec. The Federal mandated the car MFG to install 'black box' type ECU in every car starting in 1995. Then in 1996 they came out a different version, which is very stricter. I offer NOS my car as a model for them to design a NOS system but they would not do it because they said that it was too hard for them to go in and change the spec. for the engine to run NOS.<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY LINH... DID YOU SAY YOU TRIED "NOS"ING YOUR CAR?

WHAT HAPPENED. I WANTED TO RUN A DRY FLOW SYSTEM INTO MINE, BUT HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH INFO ON IT. IS IT IMPOSSIBLE OR JUST TO MUCH$$$$?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do not run "dry" system in your car, your engine might run LEAN (too hot) because of supercharger...

<br> The 'wet' system is alot safer because the NOS is being MIX with gas first before it enter inside your engine. The 'dry' system you have to TUNE (dyno tune) it really good because if any of the cylinder get too much of NOS and not enought fuel, that cylinder WILL LEAN OUT ( too hot)and it will crack head or melt piston. I don't like the universal NOS kit, not safe at all. I offer them my car as a model for them to design and tune for the SLK 230 but they said no because of the ODU 2 ECU. It too hard for them to go in and change the MFG spec. They also told me that they heard of other try it before but FAIL. If you ever try 'dry' make sure you put it on the DYNO and run it. That's the safe it way to check for LEAN problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2nd2n01..Sorry, this is CLK forum...not SLK forum...but

It slway safer to rum 'WET' NOS then 'DRY' system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey LINH, I wanted to NOS a CLK 430, not SLK, so do you know anyone that can do it?

I heard the dry flow system is safer, and to go w/ ZEX 'the purple bottle', heard anything about this brand? Well, if you know any other way to add a lot more HP w/out spending thousands let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"wet"system is safer for Turbo and Supercharger cars. "dry" system is safe for CLK 430.....

<br> One need to understand how 'wet' and 'dry' system work to determ whether or not is safe.<br> <br> 'wet' system? I explain already why it safe for all cars.<br> <br> 'dry'? Most kit come with single nozzle. This kit mostly mounted the nozzle before the Air Mass Sensor. The problem with that is, if the NOS is not distrubute evenly inside each cylinder then the cylinder that get too much nos and not enough fuel will get hot (crack head or melt piston). But 2nd2n01, I recommand you only go with a 50 shot only, that way you don't have to worry about anything ( wet or dry). If you want a 100 shot, then you need to think it carefully about everything i told you. As for shop down here in San Diego? i know this one shop not too well, but all they do is modified Porches,Bmw and Mercedes. As for ZEX as a company, no i don't know anything about them but i do saw their ads in magazines. My info is from directly talking to the NOS saleperson back then when i ask them to design a 50 shot kit for me. Oh...another safe feature i think you should use it call Brain Master ( i think that's what it call)But what it does is, it allow you to controll the NOS percentage flow through out the RPM. This feature is meanly for safety if your car is stick shift. But Clk only come with automatic so you would not need it. Oh well, it just something for you to know.<br>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts