Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have owned several Volvo 240s and love them for their longevity and simplicity. the 240Ds and 300Ds have begun to catch my eye - how do they compare for the shade-tree mechanic? I'm sure you all love them - but I'd like to get a diesel that I don't have to worry too much about in terms of reliability. What should I look for? What should I look out for? What's up with those chrome fender covers - preferable, or cheesy?

Thanks!
-pu

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
You may want to check this out:

http://mercedes-w123.net/buyers_guide.htm

As far as working on the 123, I've found them to be relatively easy to work on. A bit tedious at times, but not that tough. The biggest issue I've found in working on them and troubleshooting problems is an overall lack of knowledge about the car's systems. Not knocking anyone, but there's a lot of bad info and speculation floating around out there that can get you in trouble.

I've found no trouble finding engine and drivetrain parts, but appearance items (interior trim, chrome pieces, etc.) can be a chore to chase down. Now and then you'll come across someone parting one out.

Overall though, they are good cars that hold up well if taken care of and amazingly, still hold up fairly well if ignored and abused.

Never had a Volvo, so I can't compare, but a 300D or TD would be a nice choice if you can find one that has been fairly well maintained.

On that chrome fender thing... my vote is cheesy.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Diesels are notorious for reliability. They'll simply keep running, and I have heard nothing about head gasket warps because of that iron block and head assembly. The 300D turbo will easily pass cars, surface road or highway once the linkages and transmission are both adjusted properly.

If you want fuel efficiency, get the 240D. One member here can go 37mpg. Amazing for a car of this vintage. The 240D is very simple and it's tbe basic entry level for the diesel here in North America.

Like all old cars they'll have their fair share of problems to deal with. But no worries, like Jrehm said, parts are easily available. Lots of DIY stuff you can also do to save you some money from the shops. Goodluck!

European versions have no 300D turbo, just the 300D naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
…or they fix themselves – my driver window stopped working recently. “Great,� I said to myself, “last thing I need is to sort this one out.� (I have no climate control or air of any kind for the car…). I went over a bump or slammed the door and now it works perfectly. Good ol’ w123…

[^]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Cheesy on the fender chrome. I think if the car is from a cold state they are probably covering up rust.

Hmm.. My back drivers side window was not working when I bought my car. I took the cover off to find that the entire motor had been taken out and a board was holding the window up. How big of a bump, or how hard do I have to shut the door to bring that back?? [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
mikec92117 - 4/25/2005 12:10 AM

How big of a bump, or how hard do I have to shut the door to bring that back?? [:D][:D][:D]

…that’s what the hammer’s for…[;)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts