Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 c320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deep Fried Alternator:

About two days ago I got the Consumer Defective error on my instrument panel. I figured it was the battery, dated June 2008, but decided to head home to have my Dad check it out just to be safe. On the ride home I lost BAS, ESP, SRS and finally the car just conked out on me. I didn't receive any of the red warning lights.

I purchased a new alternator and belt today and trying to install it, but it just won't fit in the tight space! Any suggestions? I have to be back at work tomorrow :)

Just some background: I had oil leaking from the oil filter housing and apparently it saturated, cooked, and damaged the alternator. I'm still trying to figure out why that's leaking to.

I'm really, really worried about damaging the electrical modules on this car and any precautions to avoid damage would be great!

It's a 2001 C320.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Apparently you have already got the old one out, so you just need to maneuver the new one in place. The oil filter housing has an oil cooler attached to it. There's two o-rings that seal the housing to the cooler. The two sections are joined by four star bolts. Mine developed a leak, and I replaced the two gaskets myself. Wasn't the easiest job ever, but not too bad. I have plenty of photographs if you would like to see. I'm not even sure if the C320 has the cooler as the C32 does, but I believe so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts