Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SL500
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, I misunderstood. So you changed mounts and tires after vibrations started. Did you pump up the old tires before vibrations started? Inflating soft tires can make a big difference to ride.

Sounds like the roads in So Ca are a challenge. Maybe even after a front end refresh, those roads would still reveal the true nature of the R129, along the lines of what Brauhaus suggests?

I second replacing the ball joints and bushes as @FATHERTIME suggests, but probably time the front struts and top mounts were replaced as well.
No I never pumped up the tires.

I'm starting to think its the roads. Drove my dad's 2016 Camry and was feeling similar vibrations(just like me, vibrations only on the freeway where it's NOT blacktop, streets are perfectly smooth) but slightly minimal.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I never found the R129 to ride particularly well on rough roads and I've replaced all wearables on my car and had it properly aligned. Perhaps you're expecting a typical wafty Mercedes sedan ride?
I never expected a perfect ride, but the fact I only get the vibration on the freeway(NON blacktop lanes) and I ride pretty smooth on the streets is concerning...

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300e, currently has 70,545 miles
3 Posts
So I bought my 2001 SL500 3 weeks ago with collapsed engine mounts and low tread tires. I drive it one hour back to home and had no vibrations. Week later vibrations started and only happened on the freeway at like 40mph + when driving on the bad parts.

I changed:
-both engine mounts (Corteco- I know not oem but they’re OE, and the only motor mounts sold on FCPEuro for my car, and I read Corteco is a good quality and German madthough fcp euro said made in China)

- Transmission mount (Corteco)

-New tires correct size and staggered (Previous owner simply threw on 245/45/18 on all four wheels)

Does anyone have any idea why I’m getting freeway vibrations still? Is it suspension related? Flexdisc?
Did you have the tires high speed balanced and a 4 wheel alignment. As a retired traveling salesman, when my car started to shimmy it was balance and alignment, always.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,371 Posts
I too live in SoCal and some of the freeways are rough I get the same vibrations in all three of my SL's and they are all in new condition. Love to travel NV and AZ, great fast roads. 60E is real bad but I ain't tried it since the repairs. Parts of 215 shake ,15 south of Corona will take your turn signal lenses off, lost two on that one. Some tire brands suck Sumitomo will drive you nuts with noise also Hankook after a couple thousand miles. I think you need to address all the bushings and ball joints. How many miles on your car
+1
Collapsed engine mounts point to neglect, and ball joint/tie rod etc should be sorted before an alignment, not to forget sub frame bushings. From underneath the car they can be checked with a decent pry bar.

·
Registered
1999 SL600
8 Posts
Vibrations only happen on the freeway on the bumpy messed up lanes when I go from 40mph+. If I change lanes to a smoother lane itle go away then come back again the second the lane gets bumpy

When on the streets no vibrations even with bumps and cracks

FYI I live in Southern California and the roads are horrendous
Make sure your have intact lug nuts. I had the same symptoms, vibrations etc. when one failed due to metal fatigue.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,036 Posts
Check clearance of silencer to body for clearance remember the body moves . My engine and gearbox mount had shot before i had both of these items replaced,,, i had a new silencer fitted it cleared the body when it was instaled .But after replacing the engine mounts and gearbox mount the pipes of the silencer hit the bottom of the car on rough roads because replacing the mounts raised the engine up a little . But you need to make shure its not the road serface making the noise that you hear..

·
Registered
2001 SL500
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check clearance of silencer to body for clearance remember the body moves . My engine and gearbox mount had shot before i had both of these items replaced,,, i had a new silencer fitted it cleared the body when it was instaled .But after replacing the engine mounts and gearbox mount the pipes of the silencer hit the bottom of the car on rough roads because replacing the mounts raised the engine up a little . But you need to make shure its not the road serface making the noise that you hear..
I’m starting to think it’s just the roads. I felt similar vibrations in my fathers Camry and a coworker of mine claims similar vibrations on the same freeway we drive on

·
Registered
M113 SL500
466 Posts
I changed:
-both engine mounts (Corteco- I know not oem but they’re OE, and the only motor mounts sold on FCPEuro for my car, and I read Corteco is a good quality and German madthough fcp euro said made in China)
Have the corteco motor mounts been okay so far? Did you notice a positive/negative/negligible difference after installing them?

·
Registered
2001 SL500
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Have the corteco motor mounts been okay so far? Did you notice a positive/negative/negligible difference after installing them?
Yeah the vibrations were reduced. I only bought em because they’re the only motor mount sold for a 2001 SL500 on FCP Euro and they’re tagged as OE. In a couple years I’ll give lemforder a try

I’ve concluded what I’m experiencing currently is just terrible road construction.

·
Registered
M113 SL500
466 Posts
Thanks. I ask because AFAIK the Lemforders are discontinued. Only other good option is OE, but they're ~$300 a piece IIRC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been down this road b4 - no pun intended - the vibration although slight started shortly after the transmission was rebuilt, thought perhaps it was torque converter chatter not locking up, but then over 3 yrs time it got worse and only 4,000 miles put on the car since the trans was rebuilt, right front shock leaking so replaced shocks, left lower stabilizer bushing was ever so slightly worn so replaced, had the tire re-balanced, bought new tires on the internet and it got way worse, turns out 3 of the 4 tires all mfgr'd in april-19 had a hop due to belt separation, it took over 4 months fighting with the internet simpletire company to replace them w another brand, and i had bought tire insurance at the pt of purchase, after the new tires were mounted, problem was better but the whole car still vibrated badly between 45mph and 65mph even when coasting, but not in neutral? in neutral the shaking improved until 50mph then the vibration came back, so took the wheels/tires in for re-balancing, one tire was 1 oz off, and checked for hopping, while balancing but the tires spun true, so i had an idea to check the drive shaft while it was up on the lift - in my garage w a hydraulic jack I cant lift it up high enough to do a thorough inspection, so while checking the drive shaft while it was up on the lift, just by happenstance found that there is a circular molded hard rubber flex-disc fitting with fiberglass threads & fibers running through it like a tire at both ends that connects the drive shaft to the rear differential, and at the front end that connects the drive shaft to the transmission - it turns out, that a chunk of that hard rubber flex disc broke out from between the mounting bolts at the transmission end of the drive shaft, probably because the rubber was old hard and brittle and could no longer handle the torque of jumping on the gas pedal every once in a while !!!
While at the tire place having the wheels/tire re-balanced also found out that when the fuel pumps are running there is gasoline leaking and dripping off of the plastic housing protecting the fuel pumps and filter.. so that will be the next project. UGGgggghhh!!!
the repairs on these old MB's never ends ..:(:rolleyes:o_O

·
Registered
2001 SL500
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks. I ask because AFAIK the Lemforders are discontinued. Only other good option is OE, but they're ~$300 a piece IIRC.
Lemfoerders can be found on other euro part websites but for some reason I don’t trust em, plus FCPEuro has lifetime warranty.

if you buy the Oe Corteco off fcp they’re only $44 each.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts