Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 unimog 421
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been able to retro fit a set of Warn locking hubs to a Unimog front axle? With only 60 HP I need to reduce some gear friction.

·
Registered
78 406
251 Posts
I don't think it will work at all. I have seen plenty of exploded Warn hubs on Jeeps. I think by adding cheap Jeep parts to a Mog will only hinder it's performance and reliability. Mogs give you plenty of time to see the world and thats just the way it is. Put a little more air in your tires and just relax knowing you will get there. It would be a major undertaking to put locking hubs on a portal box and you would not stop to much friction. It turns into the tortiose and the hare thing. By the time I wait for the Jeepers to all get out and screw around in the rain and mud with some stupid hubs at the trail head I could be way ahead. But it's to much fun to sit in the Mog and watch a bunch of guys bending over screwing around while I turn a switch in my warm cab and just go. Of course I also have to wait at any tight turn because Jeeps with lincoln lockers don't turn unless you unlock the hubs so they just backup a million times to go around tight places.

·
Registered
71 Posts
By the time you pay the expense of the research via machineing adapters, breaking parts while testing it out etc. you would be into big buks. Those big buks would buy you enough fuel for a year or two in the rig. Overall you would end up with a Net Loss into such a project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts