Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 1998 SL500, (2) 1991 300SLs
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: At the time of this post there was an issue whereby HHT-Win would not work with the R129. This has been corrected.

Link: HHT-Win.msi

Since the file is from an unknown publisher (me), your browser will likely block its download unless you manually override the protection.

Launching the file installs HHT-Win and adds it to the Windows Start Menu. The program can be removed from a PC in the usual manner through Windows Control Panel.

·
Registered
99 SL500
146 Posts
I was excited to try this, as I wanted a backup computer for the old dell that was running SDS.

So I downloaded the file, installed it on an old computer I used to use for Carsoft (what we old timers were using before SDS became available), connected my multiplexer, and started the program, only to discover that 129 wasn't in the list of available models.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,701 Posts
Excellent !!!(y)(y)(y)

Martin

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,225 Posts
Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,079 Posts
I was excited to try this, as I wanted a backup computer for the old dell that was running SDS.

So I downloaded the file, installed it on an old computer I used to use for Carsoft (what we old timers were using before SDS became available), connected my multiplexer, and started the program, only to discover that 129 wasn't in the list of available models.
Are you running hht.win on windows xp? And are you running on windows xp post install of the star diagnostic download in bobterry’s signature?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What is needed to run this software?
You need windows xp or an xp virtual machine. Download star diagnostic from ops signature read it’s instructions then run it on windows xp then download hht.win. You will then need a star C3 multiplexer and the cables

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Is there another way to pull soft top codes or data?
This is the only way. Only via star diagnostic/hhtwin. If you go the virtual machine route, all you’ll have to spend money on is the multiplexer and cables, so a 200-300 investment and you can diagnose a lot of benzes yourself for free forever

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Which one would you recommend? Or where should I get it from?
If you mean the multiplexer and cables, I’m in the process of determining a legit trusted source too so we’ll have to ask around on this sub forum

·
Registered
99 SL500
146 Posts
Are you running hht.win on windows xp? And are you running on windows xp post install of the star diagnostic download in bobterry’s signature?
@sushipaste Yes to running on XP, No to running Star diagnostic (it can't save start key so I couldn't get it to work). HHT-WIN runs on it's own if the multiplexer is connected, but after choosing English on the language page this is what I get:
HHT1.jpg
HHT2.jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
@sushipaste Yes to running on XP, No to running Star diagnostic (it can't save start key so I couldn't get it to work). HHT-WIN runs on it's own if the multiplexer is connected, but after choosing English on the language page this is what I get:
View attachment 2679183 View attachment 2679184
I would suggest running this on your machine with a completed star diagnostic install. I had the same start key issue and bobterry simply generated it for me. PM him and he will take care of you. Hopefully your xp machine is dedicated solely to diagnostic stuff. If HHT-win still doesnt present r129 on a star'd computer then pm him again with that issue

·
Registered
99 SL500
146 Posts
I would suggest running this on your machine with a completed star diagnostic install. I had the same start key issue and bobterry simply generated it for me. PM him and he will take care of you. Hopefully your xp machine is dedicated solely to diagnostic stuff. If HHT-win still doesnt present r129 on a star'd computer then pm him again with that issue
To follow up: Your comment about bt99 giving you a key reminded me that I had another key generator elsewhere and I was able to make it work without bothering bt99 for support. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
To follow up: Your comment about bt99 giving you a key reminded me that I had another key generator elsewhere and I was able to make it work without bothering bt99 for support. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
When you have your computer fully set up for star, install hhtwin on there then tell us what happens

·
Registered
99 SL500
146 Posts
When you have your computer fully set up for star, install hhtwin on there then tell us what happens
I didn't need to install HHTWIN - it just worked like it should after installing Star Diagnostics - although all I've run is a short test (option 0) after the installation was complete.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I didn't need to install HHTWIN - it just worked like it should after installing Star Diagnostics - although all I've run is a short test (option 0) after the installation was complete.
So to be clear, you're still using HHT-WIN, not DAS right? and the install of STAR restored the R129 option?

·
Registered
99 SL500
146 Posts
So to be clear, you're still using HHT-WIN, not DAS right? and the install of STAR restored the R129 option?
Not sure I understand the question. I was always under the impression that DAS 'selects' HHT-WIN (as opposed to Xentry for newer MB models). I did a fresh XP install on an old laptop, partitioned per the instructions, installed Star Diagnostics, double clicked the DAS icon now on the desktop, and it brought up HHT-WIN. I didn't need to install HHT-WIN separately, as it was included in the Star Diagnostics installation.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts