Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The software is downloadable here: R230 ETM 64.msi.

Most of us have gotten our Star Diagnosis setups from China, and they run exclusively on Windows XP. The "Web" ETM and Starfinder which are bundled also run exclusively on XP. The download offered here overcomes those limitations and will run on any Windows PC.

In addition to this download you will need Autodesk Design Review which is a free download from their website. Send me a PM if for some reason you can not download it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
EDIT: This post discussed a version of Starfinder which has been superseded by an improved version.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If anyone has downloaded this program I encourage them to replace it with a new version linked-to in the first post. I'll explain why.

To allow the old Starfinder program to run on 64-bit machines, Mercedes created a little program called ETMviewer which you started, and it would launch Starfinder. The original download which was offered here a week ago implemented that solution. Since then a way has been found to eliminate need for the ETMviewer completely, and I think that's a worthwhile improvement. (It was necessary to click through three ETMviewer screens just to reach Starfinder/ETM, and when you were finished you had to close Starfinder and ETMviewer separately.)

To upgrade, simply go to Window's Control Panel and uninstall the existing program just as you would a product from Microsoft or any other company. Then double-click on the update file R230 ETM 64.msi. Within a minute you will have the upgraded program.

For those who are doing a first-time install, download the same .msi file and install as above. In addition, you will need to download and install Autodesk's free Design Review software from their website. PM me if you have difficulty with that.

Finally, regardless of which version you choose to use, you may notice minor bugs. For example, if you select a component on a schematic and click on it you should be taken to the Starfinder depiction of the part showing its name and location. That does not work, and it is a problem integral to the Mercedes application which I doubt I have the ability to fix, though some day I may try to.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone alerted me that the download gives the diagrams for a 129. Here is the one for the 230: R230 ETM 64.msi Also, the link in the first post has been corrected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts