Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im back! lol. ive been deployed for a while, and having been able to use the computer, but ive still been doing some brainstorming. i was debating on buying a newer car like an e55amg or something, but i didnt want to take the price plung and i like my car...

so i figured i would try swapping out the engine and transmission since thats really what i dont like. ive decided that im going to try a v8 from an sl500. im going to stick to 1996-1998 because of the engine and transmission combo. the good thing is that it has the 5 speed 722.6 tranny and a nice 5.0v8 that puts out abou 315hp and 350 torque or something around there according to edmunds.com

i was wondering everyones thoughts on this. i know since my car is older (95c220) this will be more difficult and have considered just getting a newer c class with the 722.6 tranny and the updated electronics.

i already have brakes from an sl500 getting ready to be installed once i finish painting the calipers. i plan to just buy a wrecked car with a working transmission and engine to do the swap. ill have to figure out the mounting of the transmission and engine, but i think the tranny should be just fine since they use it in the facelifted w202's, and i can imagine the mounting is too different from the engine from chassis to chassis. anyone know?

ive been debating on whether or not the rear differential will need to be replaced. im not sure if my differential will handle the increased torque. its about 200ftlbs more. a part of me would like to keep the one i have due to the gearing, i would probably achieve faster acceleration with a lower top speed.

looking forward to any thoughts or comments. oh and any technical data is really appreciated. my dog chewed up my star service dvd when i was gone... now i have to try to find another program for a decent price.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear what your saying... but i just want something awesome! lol. something better than the c43. something unique. i defenitely know it would be easier to swap this into a 1997-2000 w202 due to the electronics and the transmission already being in place, all i would need is the engine stuff. if i could find a c280 with a blown motor i would probably buy it and just swap it into that.

the only issue i have with that, is going back and redoing all the suspension stuff ive done and all the audio stuff ive done in my current car :(

why is life so difficult haha :p

·
Registered
'96 C220 n/a diesel
393 Posts
i kno it can be done with the w123 model, so in retrospect it should fit the 202 without major chassis mods, mountings will be your biggest nitemare tho, as long as u get the wiring looms and any ecu's, dont see any problems to be honest, with the exception af the exhaust system! the w123 was done by 1 of the car amgs over in the uk, i think it was practical classics if memory serves me rite mate

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the information! im going to just try to get a "totaled" sl500 that way i will have access to every part i will need to complete the install. i think i may have to get a newer instrument cluster for my car though due to the updated electronics in the ecu... maybe not.

·
Registered
98c230 & 98c43
511 Posts
buy the m113 5.4 n/a, slap it in and call it a day. it'll be better than any m119 5.0 you can find on the market, imo, and you'll be far faster than any c36/43, like you wanted. This guy's selling his from a clk55 for only $700, with just a piston repair needed.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1553668-clk55-engine-sale.html

But if you do find a m119, by all means i'm down to see how this works out. Have fun with it either way, and best of luck! :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i hear what your saying. i figured it would just be alot more expensive and harder to find the amg engines. it all depends what i come across when i decide to muster up the money to buy something lol. :D

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
After it's all said and done it will probably be cheaper just to straight up buy a C43 and be done with it.

rjp

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After it's all said and done it will probably be cheaper just to straight up buy a C43 and be done with it.

rjp
this is true. i looked at buying a c43. they arent expensive. however i have already done alot of mods to my current car. the only thing i dislike about my current car is the engine and transmission. also, the c43 is kind of weak. 302 hp and 302 ftbls of torque compared to the 315hp and 349ftlbs of torque of the sl500 in the time range im looking at. these numbers are according to edmunds.com.

i figure i can buy a wrecked sl500 for around 3000 dollars and then do most of the work myself to swap everything over. ive pretty much just decided i want something different.

ive seen w202 4 cylinders get turbocharged... i looked at that route, but who has ever swapped in a v8 engine? i dont think anyone has, so i want to try it.

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
An owner here in the UK is currently taking C43 and slotting in a 55 engine if that gives you some tips on what you are up against, or even inspiration to do your own upgrade:

My C43/C55 Conversion - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums
I think this is the way to go here. I remember reading somewhere that the M119 V8 is wider that the M113, so I'm not even sure if it will fit between the front wheels on a W202. All of the engineering to make a M113 fit already exists. Try to find a junked E55 or a used E55 powertrain and drop it right in. Don't forget about the differential - I'm pretty sure the stock gears from your W202 won't stand up to the power of the E55 motor, espeicially if you plan on hitting it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is the way to go here. I remember reading somewhere that the M119 V8 is wider that the M113, so I'm not even sure if it will fit between the front wheels on a W202. All of the engineering to make a M113 fit already exists. Try to find a junked E55 or a used E55 powertrain and drop it right in. Don't forget about the differential - I'm pretty sure the stock gears from your W202 won't stand up to the power of the E55 motor, espeicially if you plan on hitting it.
thanks for your input. ill look into the size differences more. i will defenitely be taking the tranny with the engine, and i would like to use the differential if i can make it fit. right now mine is the c220 differential and is defenitely not geared correctly and i doubt will handle the torque lol.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
A M113 motor is the way to go. 4.3 or 5.5, so you have plenty of sources to go to for engines: E55, E430, CLK430, CLK55. The respective trannies will work, as well as a SL500 tranny from the same era.

For the record, the C43 has an E430 motor with a SL500 transmission.

·
Registered
94 C220, AMG rims, C36 brakes, C43 interior, 1967 250SE Coupe
72 Posts
This article has some interesting information about the various models including the elusive C55.
C43 AMG

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can the 5.0L m113's from the r129 and the w220 work in the w202? or will the mounting points be different? im pretty sure the w210 and w208 m113's fit perfectly but i kind of wanted 5.0L or the 5.4L

·
Registered
1999 C43 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
604 Posts
I might be too little too late here, but back on the club202.com forums (before the site died) it was very common place for C43 owners to swap engines with the 5.5l from a w210 E55. It was such an easy swap, according to all of them. As far as I can tell, the mounting should be roughly the same all the way from C180 up to C43. Worst part is all new motor mounts ($140?).

And I highly doubt your current tranny could even fathom the engine. Differential should be fine, but I could very well be wrong. If not, the higher-ratio diff out of a late model w124 should bolt right in. Keep the same (shorter) transaxles you already have.

I think I'm more or less talking myself into this job with my parts-donor 95 C280 I've got sitting around.

Yes... Gut it down to grand-tourer specs, no ac/heat, no radio, 5.5 engine swap, beefed up sport suspension...

Anyone know any good manual transmissions for such an application? :)

·
Registered
94 C220, AMG rims, C36 brakes, C43 interior, 1967 250SE Coupe
72 Posts
Have you looked into the ancillary needs like the ECU and wiring harness? I'm also curious as to what other parts would need changing like the a/c compressors and such. It would be interesting to see what the entire parts list would end up being.
You also have to wonder how that much horsepower would behave without the benefit of a traction control system.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, i know i will need alot of extra equipment thats why i want to get the whole car.

i will use the engine, transmission, and possibly differential.

the ecu, wiring harness, maf, and possibly the fuel system will have to be transferred. i plan on using all the auxiliaries attached to the engine, so power steering pump, alternator, ac compressor, ect will be transplanted with the motor. this will keep the belt system correct and its easier to route new hoses and wires to the applicable auxiliaries than try to figure out a way to mount my current ones.

i do not have an electronically controlled transmission, but i would like to get one with a 722.6 so im not sure how difficult that will make things.

do the amg's come with limited slip differentials? im assuming normal 500's wont.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts