Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CA legit! (BAR sticker visible in pics). Fascinating interior! Motor looks like the ECE version (tri-y's)

1986 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL Sedan - Santa Monica

Offered Without Reserve

Estimate: $ 5,000 - $ 10,000

5.5 liter V-8 engine
Automatic transmission
Full Lorinser treatment
European model
Celebrity-owned
Lorinser alloy wheels
Integrated rear lip spoiler
Front spoiler
European headlamps with wipers
Rear bucket seats with center console
Donated to the Petersen Museum specifically for fundraising purposes

The Mercedes-Benz 560SEL (W126) was the company’s flagship model for 1986. It is still considered one of the best-selling, most reliable, and popular S-class cars in Mercedes-Benz’ long history.

This 1986 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL was modified by aftermarket tuner Lorinser. It is a European market car that was owned for the majority of its life by Evans Evans Frankenheimer, star of “Bonnie and Clyde,” and wife of legendary film and television director John Frankenheimer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, 822 code ECE car.

VIN WDB1260391A285685
Baumuster 126039
Sales name 560 SEL
Order number 0 6 402 00142 (Destination: Tourists )
Delivery date 1986-09
PAINT1 172
Interior color 275
Engine 117968 12 018104
Gearbox 722323 02 844795

SA codes
Parameter Value
172 FUEL PREHEATER
224 INDIV.REAR SEAT AND HEAD RESTRAINTS, ELEC.ADJUSTAB
251 RADIO MB - EXQUISIT - USA
275A LEATHER PEBBLE
406 MULTIPLE CONTOUR BACKREST l & r (404 AND 405)
442 AIRBAG, STEERING WHEEL
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
481 UNDERSHIELDS
490 ELIMINATION OF WINDSHIELD HEATER
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
822 INCREASED OUTPUT - 560 MODEL
872 SEAT HEATER FOR REAR
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS

·
Registered
679 Posts
Some potential mechanical issues (high idle) and the backwards NA-spec headlight wipers look dorky, but otherwise a beautiful and rare car! ECE engine, Lorinser wheels and body kit, euro bumpers and headlights, and a tasteful custom interior - unless there are big problems lurking, it should push past $10k easily. Good thing it's not convenient, or I might be the one bidding it up!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How about our resident GIF expert (you know who you are), can you mine these pics out of the HTML and embed them to this thread for reference, please

The 4-place SEC seating with fridge is perfectly integrated without looking gaudy or over the top. I bet that car smells great inside with that soft leather...

John and Evans Evans Frankenheimer:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
N-I-C-FREAKING-E!!!!

Great Color Combo. Looks lovely inside and out with the exceptions noted.

·
Registered
61,529 Posts
How about our resident GIF expert (you know who you are), can you mine these pics out of the HTML and embed them to this thread for reference, please:

Sorry, the original source is the same size as the one you posted, 562 × 316.

I hate puny pics.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
GreenT,
I think he wants them in this thread so when the car sells and the add disappears, there will be pictures in the thread.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They use embedded HTML so pics aren't as easily downloadable. No worries, I got the images uploaded on the OP.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hopefully it'll stay here in CA.

The fact the car was donated to the Petersen Museum leads me to believe its possibly been owned by the Frankenheimers' since day 1, because no dealer or second-tier owner would do that. Someone knew the car was special and treated it as such. Miles are pretty high for a celebrity-owned car which means, if one-owner, it was enjoyed thoroughly by the owners. Though it was last driven around 2009 probably around when Petersen Museum got the car.

Also love the color-coded steering wheel and trays on the rear door panels.

MERCE 560SEL 1986 01/26/2009 04:45 p.m. P NG854061C
MERCE 560SEL 1986 01/04/2007 03:18 p.m. P MO309583C
MERCE 560SEL 1986 12/02/2004 03:15 p.m. P FQ597389C
MERCE 560SEL 1986 12/02/2004 02:15 p.m. F
MERCE 560SEL 1986 01/15/2003 12:02 p.m. P EW265662C
MERCE 560SEL 1986 01/08/2001 12:03 p.m. P EB248130C
MERCE 560SEL 1986 02/26/1999 09:09 a.m. A
MERCE 560 1986 02/18/1997 09:38 a.m. P BT486771C

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm planning to bid on this beautiful creation.

I have no affiliation to the seller, the car or anything or anyone else related to this car.

If any of you ballers are also legitimately interested and you plan to bid and you have a "price is no object" budget/desire for this car, please PM me and I'll tell you my price point. If you (honestly) tell me yours is higher, then I'll refrain from piddling around and pointlessly jacking up the price. It's not that I don't want it, and I do believe that the car is probably worth more than the auction estimate, but I think my maximum price point is still below what an informed member of this forum (with the price is no object budget and desire) would pay and I'm just trying to be courteous in that regard. I'm not assuming that there's someone out there that will pay any price for this thing, but I am guessing that there's probably someone out there with a budget bigger than mine. If someone's legitimately willing to pay more than I am, they should end up with the car - even if it doesn't get bid up to my price point and they end up paying less than I would have!

Part of me thinks that this might not be an appropriate post, but what the hell - this is a Benzaholic Mutual Admiration Society we have here so I'm going with my gut. Naturally, if anyone does PM me, whatever's said is between me and the individual. I'm an honest player in that regard :smile

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm planning to bid on this beautiful creation.

I have no affiliation to the seller, the car or anything or anyone else related to this car.

If any of you ballers are also legitimately interested and you plan to bid and you have a "price is no object" budget/desire for this car, please PM me and I'll tell you my price point. If you (honestly) tell me yours is higher, then I'll refrain from piddling around and pointlessly jacking up the price. It's not that I don't want it, and I do believe that the car is probably worth more than the auction estimate, but I think my maximum price point is still below what an informed member of this forum (with the price is no object budget and desire) would pay and I'm just trying to be courteous in that regard. I'm not assuming that there's someone out there that will pay any price for this thing, but I am guessing that there's probably someone out there with a budget bigger than mine. If someone's legitimately willing to pay more than I am, they should end up with the car - even if it doesn't get bid up to my price point and they end up paying less than I would have!

Part of me thinks that this might not be an appropriate post, but what the hell - this is a Benzaholic Mutual Admiration Society we have here so I'm going with my gut. Naturally, if anyone does PM me, whatever's said is between me and the individual. I'm an honest player in that regard :smile

Best of luck sir she's a beauty

·
Registered
61,529 Posts
Actually it looks just like mine... the color that is. :grin

But seriously folks, there's something very refined about Lorinser that I can't get enough of. AMG has the muscle and the brawn, Lorinser has the class and sophistication.

Stunning car, I hope it sells well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
18 Participants
thennen1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing