Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little further down the path to insanity.

All the accessories are on the engine so I can now measure for the two serpentine belts (AC compressor, everything else).

The drive shaft is in the car. It fit first time but I needed to do a little whittling on the center bearing mounting bracket hardware and adjust the length of the driveshaft via the center pinch nut.

Next is fuel system, then wiring (Steve L - gonna call you!!).

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
OK I'll ask the stupid question. What is that red dish(inverted backwards) scalloped thingy? Is that the pulley for the water pump? Looks to not be able to hold a Serpentine belt but what do I know about a Corvette engine.

Update: OK scratch the question. I see the beltway now after a closer look...Sheesh!

One nice engine!

GTG at Mike,s(or at least Vegas!) to roll out the FrankenBenz!!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
GTG at Mike,s(or at least Vegas!) to roll out the FrankenBenz!!
I am "ALL OVER" that!!! :)

He and his wife Gail are perhaps the kindest and most hospitable couple I ever have met in the past 20 years.

They are ABSOLUTELY wonderful folks!!! They embody Southern hospitality at its very very finest!!! Their Tri-Tip bbq ALSO IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST I EVER ATE IN MY WHOLE LIFE.

It is - and has been - my very great privilege to know them.

I cannot imagine the great roar that engine will make. He will probably destroy so many U joints over and over from the stress of all that torque that the Las Vegas Mercedes dealer will give him every third set for free, and he will pay the bills bounty hunting Mustang Shelbys and Dodge Vipers.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chadahar - that red lump is the electric water pump. The belt just goes on a large red ball-bearing'd idler pulley scalloped thingy on the front.

Cascade - you make me blush! As you surmised, it WILL be started with open exhausts the first time. Glorious Roar indeed.

It looks like the engine is sitting so far back that I'll have about 3" between the front of the engine and the radiator/dual-electric fans. My SEL has about 1.3"

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
802 Posts
Jim I totally agree with you.
Bruce
New Jersey

I am "ALL OVER" that!!! :)

He and his wife Gail are perhaps the kindest and most hospitable couple I ever have met in the past 20 years.

They are ABSOLUTELY wonderful folks!!! They embody Southern hospitality at its very very finest!!! Their Tri-Tip bbq ALSO IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST I EVER ATE IN MY WHOLE LIFE.

It is - and has been - my very great privilege to know them.

I cannot imagine the great roar that engine will make. He will probably destroy so many U joints over and over from the stress of all that torque that the Las Vegas Mercedes dealer will give him every third set for free, and he will pay the bills bounty hunting Mustang Shelbys and Dodge Vipers.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra, 2005 Chrysler Town & Country, 1999 GMC Yukon
1,669 Posts
It looks like the engine is sitting so far back that I'll have about 3" between the front of the engine and the radiator/dual-electric fans. My SEL has about 1.3"
Hey! That will help negate the front weight bias you were going to get for ditching the aluminum engine! Maybe you can call it a 'front-mid-engined' car now!

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! That will help negate the front weight bias you were going to get for ditching the aluminum engine! Maybe you can call it a 'front-mid-engined' car now!
The LS6 is an all aluminum engine and is about 60 pounds lighter than the M117 (394 vs 452)! I wonder what the stock weight bias used to be and what it is now.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Looks great Mike. :thumbsup:

I wish they made electrical water pumps for our engines. The constant water flow optimizes cooling and saves a few HP's too. Nothing wrong with that. :)

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Mike

It's looking good. I got my 107 back on the road. See the 107 forum. I'm hoping to make speed week this year at Bonneville. Might you be interested.
This is the M120 V12 W107 right? :)

Tell us more.....:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.