Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit, I had reservations about this race at first, thinking Al Franken just didn't have the qualifications to be a Senator, but then I thought, well, we've had a clown for president for eight years, so why can't one be a senator? But above all else, the main reason I would love to see Franken win is because it would give that douchebag Bill O'reilly a fucking coronary. Well, it's looking like Franken may just pull it off. Keep the paddles handy, Bill:

Franken Wins Major Victory In Absentee Count

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

Al Franken received a potentially major boost towards his hopes of becoming Senator on Friday, when Minnesota state officials ruled that absentee ballots rejected because of clerical or administrative errors should, in the end, be counted.

The decision by the state canvassing board -- which was unanimous -- is, essentially, an official request for county officials to go back and count the wrongfully rejected absentee votes. This process has already begun in many counties and could portend sizeable gains for Franken.

The Democratic challenger has spent the past few weeks demanding that the state review the approximately 1,500 absentee ballots that they contend were unlawfully dismissed. Many of these votes have come from traditionally Democratic locales where, for one reason or another, voters are more likely to make clerical errors when completing their ballots.

The state has set December 19th as the end date for the sorting and counting of this absentee ballot pool (hardly a restrictive time frame for completing the task). The Coleman campaign retains the right to appeal the decision to a district or state court.

With the hand recount over in the state's Senate race, Franken's campaign claims to be clinging to a four-vote lead. This count, however, assumes that none of the challenges to ballots during the recount process will be upheld. In short: the race is incredibly tight. The inclusion of this pool of rejected absentee ballots could very well push Franken into the Senate.

UPDATE: The Franken campaign got more good news from the canvass board hearing. The state had, during the recount process, been unable to locate 133 ballots from the Minneapolis area. But rather than disregarding these votes, officials decided that they will use the results from Election Day.

·
Banned
8,498 Posts
I must admit, I had reservations about this race at first, thinking Al Franken just didn't have the qualifications to be a Senator, but then I thought, well, we've had a clown for president for eight years, so why can't one be a senator? But above all else, the main reason I would love to see Franken win is because it would give that douchebag Bill O'reilly a fucking coronary. Well, it's looking like Franken may just pull it off. Keep the paddles handy, Bill:

Franken Wins Major Victory In Absentee Count

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

Al Franken received a potentially major boost towards his hopes of becoming Senator on Friday, when Minnesota state officials ruled that absentee ballots rejected because of clerical or administrative errors should, in the end, be counted.

The decision by the state canvassing board -- which was unanimous -- is, essentially, an official request for county officials to go back and count the wrongfully rejected absentee votes. This process has already begun in many counties and could portend sizeable gains for Franken.

The Democratic challenger has spent the past few weeks demanding that the state review the approximately 1,500 absentee ballots that they contend were unlawfully dismissed. Many of these votes have come from traditionally Democratic locales where, for one reason or another, voters are more likely to make clerical errors when completing their ballots.

The state has set December 19th as the end date for the sorting and counting of this absentee ballot pool (hardly a restrictive time frame for completing the task). The Coleman campaign retains the right to appeal the decision to a district or state court.

With the hand recount over in the state's Senate race, Franken's campaign claims to be clinging to a four-vote lead. This count, however, assumes that none of the challenges to ballots during the recount process will be upheld. In short: the race is incredibly tight. The inclusion of this pool of rejected absentee ballots could very well push Franken into the Senate.

UPDATE: The Franken campaign got more good news from the canvass board hearing. The state had, during the recount process, been unable to locate 133 ballots from the Minneapolis area. But rather than disregarding these votes, officials decided that they will use the results from Election Day.
Thats why Me "Al Franken" will prevail. Democrats rule. :D

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
FTL do you actually read hard news at all or do you just ingest the stuff on Huffington post and like minded sites?

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
I happen to get a quote of the day on my I google page.
it just seems to be the right one today::

Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
But wait, there's more...

Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman's Home Renovation Linked to Lawsuit
Sen. Norm Coleman's home in St. Paul got a $400,000 facelift. Now the FBI is investigating whether some of that money came from a local businessman.

The FBI is reportedly investigating allegations that a Minnesota businessman tried to funnel $75,000 in campaign contributions to Sen. Norm Coleman through the senator's wife, Laurie, at the same time Coleman was going into debt because of extensive home renovations.

According to a report from MyFOXTwinCities.com, two lawsuits allege that in the spring of 2007, Nasser Kazeminy began making $25,000 payments from Deep Marine Technology, a Texas company he controls, to Laurie Coleman's employer, insurer Hayes Companies Inc. of Minneapolis.

One of the lawsuits alleges that in March 2007, Kazeminy said that "U.S. senators don't make s---," and he would try to get money to the senator, MyFOXTwinCities.com said.

In 2006, the Colemans began renovations on their St. Paul home, adding a second-floor master bedroom, remodeling the kitchen, painting, refinishing floors and landscaping. Coleman's campaign told MyFOXTwinCities.com that the 2006 renovation project was budgeted at $328,000, but within four months the cost estimates hit $414,000 -- over-budget by $86,000.

Government ethics professor David Schultz told MyFOXTwinCities.com that the timing of the alleged donations from Kazeminy and the Colemans' burgeoning debt raise questions about the senator's credibility.

"On the one level it could just be a coincidence, on the other level this could be one of the reasons he's getting that money from elsewhere, to try to make up for his, to be able to pay off a loan, pay off a line of credit," says Schultz.

Coleman, not a party to the lawsuits, has denied any wrongdoing.

He and Democratic challenger Al Franken are still waiting out a lengthy recount to determine the winner of the state's Senate election on Nov. 4.

Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman's Home Renovation Linked to Lawsuit - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
It's really getting hard to believe that total anarchy would be much worse than what we have now..

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
Who has read Al Franken's book "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them - a Fair and Balanced Look at the Right"? It is a really good expose of Faux News.

And did you know that Fox News actually sued Al Franken for using their trademark phrase "Fair and Balanced" on the cover of this book? And they lost. :D

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
What do you consider hard news? Fox News?
Fox, CNN, AP, Reuters, SKY, IBN, UPI, just to name a few.

I guess you would consider Huffington a hard news source? I liken it to the Daily Show.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Fox, CNN, AP, Reuters, SKY, IBN, UPI, just to name a few.

I guess you would consider Huffington a hard news source? I liken it to the Daily Show.
Where do you think Huffington, as an aggregate draws their source material if not from AP, Reuters etc?

They are an aggregator only. The main reason NOT to use them is they don't supply their source links easily. But they are very easy to check.

Looks like they use the local/state news sources as the primary, as did Politico, RCP and others.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/senate/36043514.html?elr=KArks8c7PaP3E77K_3c::D3aDhUec7PaP3E77K_0c::D3aDhUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
THAT'S funny. I don't care who you are!
It appears as if you're attempting to lend legitimacy to Marsie, which means you don't fully comprehend how woefully wrong and desperate that makes you look. Just say no...for the love of god, just say no...

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
It appears as if you're attempting to lend legitimacy to Marsie, which means you don't fully comprehend how woefully wrong and desperate that makes you look. Just say no...for the love of god, just say no...
It's only right.

50 is the new 40.
Red is the new black.
Dig is the new Z.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts