Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
clk 320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get the lowest possibly for my CLK 320 01,
what spring pads setting is the best to make it looks nice? 5MM for both front and real, will the car looks unlevel? I don't want to invest in new damper because the new CLK has already released, so lowering with spring pads maybe suitable for me.

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
Pads...

5mm would lower you a bit but not much. 5mm all around with the stock suspension looks level as the rear is already higher as is. The front 5mm pads are actually SLK pads in case the dealer tells you it doesn't exist. [:D]

·
Registered
HWA 208
32 Posts
Are you looking for a really mild lowering? What pads do you have in there currently? (Ea...

Are you looking for a really mild lowering? What pads do you have in there currently? (Easiest way to tell would be to take off a front and rear wheel, look up at the bottom of the spring pad, and count the nubbins.)

If they're in the #3-#5 range then going to 5mm (#1) pads should be a pretty good drop. If you're already running #2s all around, then going to #1s would have a minimal lowering effect.

Also, you mentioned that you do not wish to change your dampers, but it is the springs that lower the car. It's quite a bit pricier than $6USD for spring pads, but it might still be something worth looking into.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 320
2 Posts
How difficult would it be to change spring pads myself. Do I need any special tools? Any...

How difficult would it be to change spring pads myself. Do I need any special tools? Anyone have step by step instructions? [B)]

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
You would need a spring compressor...

The pads are on top of the spring. Basically, just compress the spring then take it out and replace the pad.

It's really easy if you have a lift and the compressor.

·
Registered
HWA 208
32 Posts
And a mercedes benz spring compressor at that...but only for the fronts.If you are s...

And a mercedes benz spring compressor at that...but only for the fronts.

If you are so inclined, you can change out the rears yourself. The process goes something like this:

1. jack up the rear of the car.
2. use smaller jack to hold in spring tension
3. unbolt lower control arm
4. slowly release tension on spring
5. remove spring and replace pad
6. jack up control arm and try to align with the hole for a re-fastening. repeat as necessary

then all you'll have to do is get someone to do the fronts for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts