Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sprinter with 314K miles, Transmission: W 5 A 380 722.683
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2008 diesel Sprinter 2500 van that I bought used from a fleet with about 314K miles on it. While draining the 722.683 (W5A 380) transmission and changing the filter, I discovered what looks like part of some sort of washer, snap ring, shim, or the like, in the transmission pan. The photo shows the part between a magnet and key. The part is rigid as if metal, but non-magnetic. One side is flat, while the other has a bevel on both the inner and outer rim. It's about 0.2-0.3 mm thick, 2.7-2.8 mm wide, and has a would-be inner circle diameter of approximately 23-24 mm. I'm not certain if there was another fragment in the now-disposed fluid. There was no known functional problem with the transmission at the time of draining the fluid and changing the filter. Does someone know what this part is, the depth of the repair, and if it's reasonable to drive a couple of thousand miles until spring when my intent of DIY is more comfortably done?

Background: At the time of this hobby-van purchase, the seller mentioned a possible turbo problem, but nothing suspicious about the transmission. I fixed the "turbo problem" (lower intercooler hose) and multiple other codes so that it has been driving fine for a couple of thousand miles. Well, we did eventually notice at speeds around 60-80 mph that there was a cycle of about 8 seconds of calm followed by 2 seconds of rise in RPMs and an accompanying rumble noise. The noise was seemingly somewhere behind the cabin. It's very possible that the sound had been there all along, but that we hadn't had a sufficiently long stretch of smooth freeway yet to notice the sound among other normal noise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
@Green egs

Thank you for making such a detailed post and including so much usefull information. Many forum questions would be answered much quicker and with more helpful information if more people were able to sit down and write forum questions with the necessary details included to help people accuratly solve problems without getting sidetracked on the wrong path. This post should be a template for how to post questions about highly technical and advanced issues that vehicle owners encounter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think that it might be part #: A2102720052

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/2102720052.htm

I would drain the torque converter fluid, pan fluid, and change the filter to get clean fluid in there.
Then after a reasonable amount of time (a few tousand miles) you could sample the fluid and send it to Blackstone or another lab to get a chemical analysis. If the wear metals aren't too elevated then I wouldn't bother with it. Officially it shouldn't be missing, but short of a total re-build by an actual blueprinting-rebuilder or re-manufacturer I don't think it will be able to be accuratly found and resolved correctly.

The rumble strip noise is a completely seperate issue:

A fluid and filter change might fix the rumble strip problem also.

·
Registered
2008 Sprinter with 314K miles, Transmission: W 5 A 380 722.683
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the tips. I looked at that part. Although I didn't find the dimensions of the part, the proportions don't seem the same, as shown below.

I then saw some other candidates: below is an example of an End Play Adjustment shim whose proportions seem closer. Likewise, the Park Gear to Rear case shims also seem to have similar proportions and maybe even a bevel park gear to rear case shim

I'm guessing that these photo comparisons don't really change your advice. So I'll plan on that unless any of this raises a flag. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts