Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
This is my first time posting on a car related forum but I'm a big car enthusiast and Im a huge benzo fanboy. I'm 18 and I live in Dubai, Im moving to Cincinnati soon for university. A couple nights ago, I was going to get some food with a friend at 3 AM and came across a W140 S600 in decent condition. It was covered in about a year or twos worth of dust and the tires were deflated from sitting for so long but the airmatic struts don't look like they have collapsed, the hood ornament is missing (probably stolen) but the rest of the car looks like it's in decent condition. No body damage from what I could see through the dust, given it was 3 AM so I couldn't see much anyway. There was a note on it that said "for scrap" and I thought why don't I try finding the owner and seeing if I can have it for myself rather than let it be scrapped (depending on why it's being scrapped). I was wondering what you all thought I should do, or any advice you have for me. Should I forget about it as it may be very very expensive in fixes or should I try finding the owner and get it for myself and ship it to the US with me for when I move to uni?

Note: I'll try getting some pictures of it today

Thanks!
Romit

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,965 Posts
Can we assume this car is in Dubai? There is a sign in my garage that says: "There is nothing more expensive than a CHEAP Mercedes." Having said that I own a '97 CL600 and it is the finest car I have ever owned. But it was neglected and needed ALL of it maintenance brought up to standards. How about 12 coils at $130 apiece as a start? Do you have that kind of money? And will you ship it from Dubai? I would say pass on this one but maybe???

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,598 Posts
Several thoughts:
What year is it? 92-95 are not the preference for most. The engine and power for the most part is the same as on the second generation (96-2001), but the engine management is far superior on the second gen. But mostly the electronically controlled 5speed transmission makes the two seem like they’re separated by decades.
We presume it’s a W140 you’re talking about. No w140 had “Airmatic” suspension. Throughout the production they had coil springs all around, with hydraulic rams in the rear for self leveling.
Most were equipped with “ADS” suspension, which firmed up the ride somewhat when activated.It’s malfunction will not make the car’s suspension sag.
92-95 had what most refer to as wire harness cancer. That means that almost ALL engine management related wiring will shed all of its insulation wreaking havoc on the engine management system, often causing very costly modules to burn up. (EGAS)
This biodegrading issue also affects the two throttle bodies,
Not sure how handy you are with a wrench. These are not particularly expensive problems to repair yourself with GOOD mechanical skills, but if you had to pay someone, you’ll pay handsomely.
Heat was a killer to these wirings, wether actual engine heat, or just current related, even on a properly maintained car. Now add to that that the car has been sitting abandoned in DUBAI of all places the heat must’ve done a number on many many things.
How is the interior? Most second gen cars, but but many 95 cars came with full leather interior, that included the door panels and the dash. No way that the dash leather looks presentable on a car that just sits in the Middle East heat. (Or any sunbelt climate for that matter) I have a parts car here in Florida that had decent leather on the dash. Two years later it literally shedded off in bits.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

So, unless you have access to not paying retail on everything, and you are very handy with a wrench, I’d say don’t do it. This doesn’t even include the cost of shipping to the states. The W140 (V12 or not) has not risen in value so much to make ANY sense to import a derelict car.

If you can post some pics. We’re al curious to see the car regardless

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,274 Posts
Romit,
Owning 2 S600 coupes that I brought back from near death, and having worked extensively on a third belonging to a friend, I can say with certainty that unless you are very mechanically inclined, can do all of your own work, and will have the time and a place to do it, run away. If I had paid someone to do the work, I would have easily had $20 to 30k into each of my cars. Any S600 that has sat for any length of time will need the same, not matter how few the miles on it. If the car has been parked, someone wasn't willing to spend the money to fix it, which means it's also likely it wasn't well maintained before that.

You don't say what University you are going to, but the two major ones in Cincinnati are University of Cincinnati and Xavier. I went to UC, more years ago than I like to admit. The area around UC is fairly congested, with little off street parking. A big car like a W140 is not what you need. Winters are tough and cold, with many days sub-freezing. It's also hilly, and roads get very slick. I'd advise anyone going to school in Cincinnati to get either a front wheel drive or all wheel drive car, small, nimble, and very dependable. You'll have enough to do without worrying about car maintenance. Buy a car once you get there, and sell it when you leave. You'll be far better off.

Many Mercedes dealers in the US won't work on W140s, and independent mechanics that know W140s are rare, and ones that know S600s are even rarer.

Jon

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,965 Posts
You nailed it jal1224. I live in a wealthy area where M ercedes are a dime a dozen. I have 5 indies within 6 miles of my house but a couple of them won't touch a 12 cylinder. My mechanic never worked on on e either but jumped right in with my guidance from the forum. Afyer all, a 12 cylinder is nothing more than two 6 cylinders on one crank. 😰

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,598 Posts
Well said. It truly is two M104s. Once the air boxes are taken out, there is reasonable amount of space to get to most things.
It does look intimidating to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
420 Posts
$20 large invested in mine, at wholesale parts prices and indie shop labor from "friends." I had several 80s and 90s Benzes including V8s and SLs before buying this, and my business had an uptick, and I needed a new project. Unless your MB ownership background, MB tech network, and pockets have some checkboxes beside them, move along, kid!

See the other thread in this forum, "98 CL600 parting out." W140 v12s and coupes can quickly parry the bravest and boldest. Like Missy Elliot sang a couple decades ago, "this junk in my trunk ain't made for chumps," and she may have well been singing about our nearly-5,000lb labors of love on 4 wheels as much as her own posterior.

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
420 Posts
In a facelifted m120 model, the motor itself is the LEAST of your worries. Valve cover gaskets and new coils on mine is all I've done in 3 years. All the other money went to suspension, rubber bits, and body parts and trim.

Well said. It truly is two M104s. Once the air boxes are taken out, there is reasonable amount of space to get to most things.
It does look intimidating to the untrained eye.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
928 Posts
In a facelifted m120 model, the motor itself is the LEAST of your worries. Valve cover gaskets and new coils on mine is all I've done in 3 years. All the other money went to suspension, rubber bits, and body parts and trim.
This sounds like my car! I just did (had them done) the valve cover gaskets and replaced all the coils. I probably did not have to replace the coils, but I was chasing codes and already had the coils. However most of the codes cleared after the new coils. Did the plugs a second time also. Ursula now has 136K miles and runs great.

When my Indie did the VC Gaskets total about $2K he also replaced most of the vacuum lines and also the MAF Sensor intake. Car never ran better.

Sloth 43, depending on the year of the car you may want to pass. Do you plan to import it from Dubai? Why not wait and buy one in the US when ypou get here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts