Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

9841 - 9853 of 9853 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checked this one couple days ago, 560SL 1986, 102K miles, asking $15500, AC is not working ( blowing warm air ), some beeping noise while idling and bump when shifting from P,R,N to D, what you guys think? no leaks and paint in mint condition with couple cracks on the dashboard, I am debating if I should go for it or no, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Checked this one couple days ago, 560SL 1986, 102K miles, asking $15500, AC is not working ( blowing warm air ), some beeping noise while idling and bump when shifting from P,R,N to D, what you guys think? no leaks and paint in mint condition with couple cracks on the dashboard, I am debating if I should go for it or no, what do you guys think?
To me the body is primary. And I include the underbody too, the cross members and various arms and how pepered in rust they are.
Does it shift into reverse quickly when you've come to a halt from forward progress?

What's the Trans fluid colour like?

I bought a 400 E once and the trans was slippy and shifted eratically, I missed this on the test drive and it ended up being a trans rebuild job. Something to look at. Of course, these cars are worth several times what a 400 E is worth so you could factor it into the price

·
Registered
10 Posts
To me the body is primary. And I include the underbody too, the cross members and various arms and how pepered in rust they are.
Does it shift into reverse quickly when you've come to a halt from forward progress?

What's the Trans fluid colour like?

I bought a 400 E once and the trans was slippy and shifted eratically, I missed this on the test drive and it ended up being a trans rebuild job. Something to look at. Of course, these cars are worth several times what a 400 E is worth so you could factor it into the price
I shift normally to and from any position, its just that bump, I didn't check the color, I am new to this classic world, I drive new Mopars, the body in mint condition, I couldn't find rust, currently looking to see where can i take it for PPI, do you guys recommend doing compression tests? those are expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I shift normally to and from any position, its just that bump, I didn't check the color, I am new to this classic world, I drive new Mopars, the body in mint condition, I couldn't find rust, currently looking to see where can i take it for PPI, do you guys recommend doing compression tests? those are expensive.
I would, but its a bugger to get the plugs out. Also- the timing chain, is the big thing- has it been changed?
They can lead to catastrophic engine failure- its time/age related not miles. The plastic tensioner/guides break down.
The only reason I didn't check the car I bought a couple of weeks ago, was because the doctor and mechanic didn't know what they had and the price was so ludicrously low for the condition (like less than a quarter of what youre showing) that if I had hesitated I would be lost! I just took my covers off and looking at the chain and my engine is mint, no sludge, amazing! If you find someone who doesn't know what they have....

I like Mopars too, I have a 70 challenger and a couple of modern Dodge Rams

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would, but its a bugger to get the plugs out. Also- the timing chain, is the big thing- has it been changed?
They can lead to catastrophic engine failure- its time/age related not miles. The plastic tensioner/guides break down.
The only reason I didn't check the car I bought a couple of weeks ago, was because the doctor and mechanic didn't know what they had and the price was so ludicrously low for the condition (like less than a quarter of what youre showing) that if I had hesitated I would be lost! I just took my covers off and looking at the chain and my engine is mint, no sludge, amazing! If you find someone who doesn't know what they have....

I like Mopars too, I have a 70 challenger and a couple of modern Dodge Rams
The last thing I saw was record from 2008 recommending changing timing belt but no later records of it being changed, also another recommendation from same date to address rear axle leak but when I checked the car the rear axle had zero oil so I am assuming that has been addressed.
I love old Mopars but those cost arm and leg these days, Can't afford it anymore, I am new to the classic world and don't have experience, Man those SLs are amazing cars to enjoy but coming to assess if you got a good deal for a guy like me seem to be impossible, I don't want to be low baller but I don't want to pay more than what car worth.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1983 380 sl with euro headlights
$2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
1983 380 sl with euro headlights
$2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently if you talk to the wife, you might get it for less than 2K

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Okay, it is not a 107 but as a Daimler with a Rolls Royce engine it is an interesting compact Ferret that could be useful if commuting in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Okay, it is not a 107 but as a Daimler with a Rolls Royce engine it is an interesting compact Ferret that could be useful if commuting in heavy traffic.
View attachment 2603524

Hmmm, have not figured out how to edit my own post. So here is a reply to self. Sold for $35,500. OMG.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Will be interesting to see how the market has changed from 2016 to now.

Looks like a nice low mileage 87. Not show but $21,500 then

Back on the market three years and 2K miles later.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
A few days ago I was watching Mecum Auctions on TV where there was a low mileage blue 560SL that went in excess of $40K. Commentators suggesting that interest is building in these models.

9841 - 9853 of 9853 Posts
About this Discussion
9.9K Replies
399 Participants
cwmoser
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing