Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 9853 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
You bet, Rowdie.

Something I discovered after searching through e-bay's byzantine support pages is that if you want to research a particular seller, there is a search engine, apparently maintained independently of e-bay's administration, called toolhaus-dot-org.

Most of the complained-about sellers on Unimog416's tabulated list can be located there. Surprisingly among some of the sellers Unimog416 cited, there is little negative feedback to show for a goodly number of car sales. Maybe from shill bidding that failed to hook a rube? Interesting.

Good road,

·
Registered
21,751 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,467 Posts
The '72 is not a US model that is why it has electrical box turn signals.
AMG steering wheel. Can't tell about the spoiler for sure but I think it is AMG also.
I think it has almost topped out on reasonable price.

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
Here's a car that need rescue or needs to be put down...

1980 mercedes 280sl
With the condition of the car, the guy should really just start parting it out. It doesn't even look like it's parked somewhere that would be very easy to tow. Might as well lighten the load and fill the wallet before having to push that car away to the wrecker.

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
Bad water pump = doesn't run. Right? So how can yu test anything on this car? Only the owner knows what is surely wrong with the car, and we know everything that goes wrong when these cas it. That's enough for me to consider it a parts car, but I've seen some of the stuff you've brought back from the dead, and it is quite impressive.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Bad water pump usually means that it's leaking pretty badly. You can run the engine for a short period with a house pipe jammed into the expansion tank to hear it running and make sure it's good. i've seen some very ropey cars that could be parts cars. But this one seems like it's quite intact and not molested.

I have a 280SL that I will be flipping over. Cosmetically, it's in worse shape then this car (dents and clear peeling) but no rust and mechanically sound. I plan to fix it up and sell it in the spring.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,467 Posts
Needs fuel pump, not water pump. No way to check engine to see how it runs.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,141 Posts
Sure there is, stuck some gas in the intake and crank it. I can make an SL run for 10-15 minutes by trickling in litre bottle coke filled with gas. :)
...and with one backfire, you can have a hell of a bar-b-que as well...
I don't suppose you hold that litre coke bottle by hand?

:)

Incidentally, a gallon of gas is equivalent to 14 sticks of Dynamite, therefore the litre of gas would be a little under a third as powerful

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Yep, I do .... I'm sorry I've done it often so it does not concern me. I guess I must be an experienced nutcase. The point i'm making is that if you really wanted to hear the engine, you can and will be able to make a more informed decision on buying.

It's still not a parts car, but he can probably get more money out of it if he decided to part it out.

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
So maybe this is the 280SL for me! Cheap, little to no info in the description, didn't run when the ad was published, low miles, a little bit of rust, and probably quite a project to get back on the road. It's just not black. :) Thank God for that, otherwise I might only prove that I can't learn a lesson.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
If that car is the same as my 79, there is another relay next it the FPR (WSW relay?), anyway it's the same relay, just swap them.

41 - 60 of 9853 Posts
About this Discussion
9.9K Replies
399 Participants
cwmoser
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing