Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned before, I've been on a quest to get back to "SPEC Sheet" Lubricants for my Vehicles.

So far? Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee most ellusive Lubricant?? Transfer Case Oil for the VG150E Box !!!

What has been even MORE disappointing?? Calling around to various Mercedes Authorized Dealers?? *NONE* of them carry.... or *EVEN USE* the specified Fluid!!! Crazy!! How in the heck can a Dealer *NOT* use the correct fluid?? Blows my mind...

Don't get me wrong... the Fluid "IS" available, but ONLY in the 20 Liter Version, and they want ca. $600 USD for the bucket!!! Doooohhhhh!!

After much Wailing, and Gnashing of Teeth, I decided to take a Back-Door Approach..

After snooping around on various sites, I found out that there is an 18 Wheeler which uses the Detroit Diesel D12 Transmission: Freightliner Cascadia Evolution.

Well, come to find out?? Not only does Daimler-Benz OWN Freightliner? It also owns Detroit Diesel!

Long story short.... I contacted my local Freightliner Dealer, and they had a 5 Gallon Bucket of the Detroit Diesel Transmission Synthetic 75W-90.

The BONUS??? The 20 Quart Bucket cost me..... $60 Bucks!!! $3 a quart~!!

Anyhoooo, I know this fluid has been discussed on numerous occasions... so I thought I would post my Diamond-in-the-Rough, Fantastic Find!!

"G"

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G55 AMG
130 Posts
Sheet 235.11
Very nice find indeed!
I think I've paid more for the few quarts of Redline.
I've read many G owners have been using Redline without any known or reported problems but if given the choice and at this price, all would use what is recommended.

Thanks G-amg

·
Registered
2004 G500 Tektit Grau with full jewelry | CLS63 Seats
177 Posts
Well done. What a thrilling event it is when you discover an answer or an item that has been as elusive as this has been, right?

I think we sometimes take it for granted that it takes a swipe of a phone screen, a smidge of typing and we can find what we seek. When it's not there...it's frustrating..."I darn well know it exists, Google...get back to work and find it!!"

Congrats on the accomplishment, and thank you for sharing the enthusiasm and the information. The forum is richer for it.

·
Registered
2004 G55 AMG
130 Posts
Well done. What a thrilling event it is when you discover an answer or an item that has been as elusive as this has been, right?

I think we sometimes take it for granted that it takes a swipe of a phone screen, a smidge of typing and we can find what we seek. When it's not there...it's frustrating..."I darn well know it exists, Google...get back to work and find it!!"

Congrats on the accomplishment, and thank you for sharing the enthusiasm and the information. The forum is richer for it.
Hard to not like TedCorp!
Your pure exactness is always a treat to read.
Love for TC
And of course for G-Man, for his persistence, hunting down them their dragons!!!!

·
Registered
2004 G500 Tektit Grau with full jewelry | CLS63 Seats
177 Posts
Hard to not like TedCorp!
Then stop trying.

I'm just attempting to maintain continuity between the guy I am in person and the guy that becomes small letters and an avatar. The effort it takes for the people that share this kind of information and photos with strangers on the web is worth commendation. It really does make the site a tapestry of opinion, facts and passion and that's a true car...erm, tank...community.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts