Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soooo, ive had to keep putting coolant in the car every couple days, and couldnt figure out for the life of me why im constantly having to put coolant in my car, first i checked all the hoses, they are fine, radiator is brand new, as well as thermostat, etc, second i think head gasket, check oil, no mixing, check coolant, its fine, doesnt bubble, nothing, no signs of coolant on side of motor or white smoke out the rear...but i still am having coolant loss, as well as mild overheating. so one day i saw a small leak of coolant...coming from the windshield fluid reservoir, i knew it leaked and figured someone messed up and put the coolant in the wrong spot, so i shrugged it off. but today! i top off the radiator, drive around for a while, alls good 85c temp, and then coolant light comes on, and temp starts rising, im like greaaat. so i stop at my friends house, get out, and coolant is pouring out onto the ground, look underneath for leak, and bam!
photo(28).JPG
photo(27).JPG
its coming from the washer fluid reservoir, open the reservoir, and its filled to the brim, and still filling up as it pours out. so i guess the washer fluid heater lines have a leak somewhere, so im just going to by-pass it as others have done. i would have never guessed that this would happen. but thank god i found my problem! i hope bypassing it fixes this anyways. sorry for the lengthiness, but im glad to have finally figured it out! :D:D:D

·
Greek God of the R129
8,361 Posts
Mine is been bypassed too.

Why do I need that thing in California? Haha.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Poundy: i never knew my '90 model had this either! I had always wondered what those metal lines inside the resovoir were for. And now i know. Cool feature, but im in Atlanta..just like AAM said, i dont really need that feature. Plus i hate using the washer fluid anyways, i hate getting fluid sprayed all over my car, and the leftover residue is less than pleasant. I just finished by-passing it and took it for a drive, all seems well so far, i couldnt see nor hear any leaks. Car ran cooler too. Ill post pictures of this mod in the morning for whomever is interested. This problem should be in the stickies "mysterious coolant loss? Check here!" lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heated washer fluid bypass

hey everyone, my heated washer fluid is now bypassed, for anyone whom is interested, i posted pictures below!

photo(29).JPG

photo(30).JPG

just used an "L" shaped heater hose fitting, utilizing the existing clamps.

·
10,293 Posts
This thing is a must here in Boston, without it, that tank will turn into a solid block of ice for 5-6 months of the year...

·
10,293 Posts
I ve seen the orange fluid frozen in here once...

·
Registered
6 Posts
seems less risk and better to just have and electric heater for this, the cleaner fluid can still freeze when the motor is not running anyway....

·
10,293 Posts
seems less risk and better to just have and electric heater for this, the cleaner fluid can still freeze when the motor is not running anyway....
You typically only need to wash the glass while the engine is running...

Also, the thing is heated not only because it freezes, but because the water in that tank is a good free radiator for engine heat, and hot fluid cleans the windshield better...

Anyway, as per all other components in any MB; "Even if it doesnt make sense to you, why the components is there, what does it do, and how it does function... it is there for a reason; if you remove it, and even if the car runs fine immidiately after, you'll notice other things breaking or malfunctioning eventually..."

Trust me, I paid years of experince, and even more money for broken components to come up with the theory above...

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
That's good in theory, but the electric heat on the Wife's Buick was a recall item due to fires from the heater...:dunno:

The mercedes method seems like an easy, elegant, and inexpensive way to handle the issue, but I personally wouldn't be afraid to bypass the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
abiby
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing