Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** I highly recommend you take your ECU to a dealer to clear any faults. ****

The difererence between having the dealer "reset your ECU and you doing it is that the dealer only clears the faults the ECU has on memory, when you reset your ECU, it must basically re-calibarte itself and learn about all your car's systems from scratch.

Preparation Steps:

1. Make sure your stering wheel is not turned to either side.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed
4. make sure your parking brake is released
6. Turn off your stereo.
7. Make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code
8. Turn off your heat/AC blower
9. Turn off your lights
10. Make sure your door are UNLOCKED.
11. READ THE WHOLE PROCEDURE BEFORE GETTING STARTED

Reset Steps:
Open your trunk and diconect the negative side of your batery, wait 30 seconds and re-connect it back.

Post-Reste Steps

Turn the key to position 2 (DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE)

1. Reseting your windows: You only have ONE shot at this so you must not screw up. Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windwos are all the way down make both swithches click by pressing them all the way down. This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memeory. Do the same closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg. by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU

3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stero code. ify oud dont have it. you can forget about listening to the radio.

4. pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then donw

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP systems must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT. then bring it back to the midle. Notice the two yellow lights desapear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Hope this helps, and remember, do this at your own risk. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY THING I MAY HAVE OMMITTED. ANY THOUGTHS AND CRITICS ARE WELCOME. Also if you go ahead with this procedure. Post how everything went on this thread.

YAHOO - juancpath

·
Registered
2001 CLK430
4 Posts
So is your ECU like the brain of the car? Where in Northern VA do you live? I live 10 mins from DC.
Kathy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good question.. i would contact the chip's manufacturer and ask them.. my guess is that the ECU works hand in hand with the chip kinda like a PC.. once you add a RAM chip, it speeds the CPU up and nothing happens if you shut the machine down or not... I think its the same with the perf. chip... in all, the chip only maximize power output by distorting the readings coming in and from the ECU.

Can annyone add to this?

·
Registered
2000 CLK
383 Posts
yes , if you do the reset and you have the performance data programed into it , it will erase it to oem set up , it happened to my buddy by accident and he had to re-do the performance upgrade , so be very carefull

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
What is the real benefit of resetting the ECU? I could see if you were having some real problems but why take this chance if everything seems to be working as it should?

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
qslick74 - 5/15/2005 10:00 AM

yes , if you do the reset and you have the performance data programed into it , it will erase it to oem set up , it happened to my buddy by accident and he had to re-do the performance upgrade , so be very carefull
Guys we're talking about two different things here. If you've had your car dyno tuned and the changed the setup then yes it would reset to OEM and all your time and $'s would be wasted BUT if you have a chip mod like PowerChip or SpeedTuningUSA they actual mount a surface chip to your ECU with the EPROM burned into memory so there is no way to erase it. SO either way when you reset the ECU you have to be careful though to follow the correct procedure.

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
grantwTXCLK - 5/13/2005 10:25 AM

qslick74 - 5/15/2005 10:00 AM

Guys we're talking about two different things here. If you've had your car dyno tuned and the changed the setup then yes it would reset to OEM and all your time and $'s would be wasted BUT if you have a chip mod like PowerChip or SpeedTuningUSA they actual mount a surface chip to your ECU with the EPROM burned into memory so there is no way to erase it. SO either way when you reset the ECU you have to be careful though to follow the correct procedure.
Are you sure. I've heard dealers resetting the ECU with the Star Diagnostics only for the owners to find that their chips have been 'wrtten over', therefore promting them to send it back to have it reflashed... I dunno

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
I reset mine accidentally [:D] I was jumping my car off, needed a new battery, and it was dark, and well let's just say the terminals are negative a positive for a reason........lol. I was up in the car and I was like, shit smell smoke, almost caught the trunk on fire. The ABS and ESP lights came on but they went away after driving it a couple times.

·
Registered
2000 CLK
383 Posts
even if you have an actual chip installed to the ecu it would still erase it to oem setting, that's what my buddy had too , but when he reset it it ignored the chip , and went to oem setting.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
DanStubbs - 5/13/2005 1:34 PM

I reset mine accidentally [:D] I was jumping my car off, needed a new battery, and it was dark, and well let's just say the terminals are negative a positive for a reason........lol. I was up in the car and I was like, shit smell smoke, almost caught the trunk on fire. The ABS and ESP lights came on but they went away after driving it a couple times.
I had a feeling you were a menace.

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
ThrillKill - 5/13/2005 5:58 PM

DanStubbs - 5/13/2005 1:34 PM

I had a feeling you were a menace.

Yeah and they let me have a gun too [}:)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
juancpath - 5/12/2005 5:18 PM

Hope this helps, and remember, do this at your own risk. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY THING I MAY HAVE OMMITTED. ANY THOUGTHS AND CRITICS ARE WELCOME. Also if you go ahead with this procedure. Post how everything went on this thread.

YAHOO - juancpath

Thanks for posting this procedure, juancpath. I was having an issue with my '98 CLK 230 where the engine was kicking/shuddering when in neutral. This procedure seems to have solved the issue, and also helped with getting the drivers window to close fully!

Can you tell me where exactly the ECU is located in my car, and point me towards any good sites for tuning?

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
The ECU is located under the plastic cover up in the passenger corner nearest the windshield under the hood. As far as tuning, do you mean ECU tuning or just tuning in general? I can't really recommend any ECU tuning places right now but there a few out there. As far as other tuning mods you can always....actually, I'll stop myself right there. Just noticed you had a 230. I personally don't know anything about what you can do with those cars.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know about the 230, but didnt we just had a recall regarding the engine shuddering and shaking while in neutral?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Didn't hear anything about a recall here (Ireland), but my car is kinda old, so I'd imagine they'd have found its faults a long time ago :)

·
Registered
CLK320 Con, S320L
402 Posts
Say would this reset the BAS if you abused the brakes too much? Or would this reset the memory on accceleration and gear changes of the newer models?

Does the instrument cluster prompt you to do these things step by step or you just have to read the procedure somewhere and memorize them to do prioritized steps?

Good to know for future reference, if we ever had to change battery or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
W208Cab - 9/1/2005 3:59 AM

Does the instrument cluster prompt you to do these things step by step or you just have to read the procedure somewhere and memorize them to do prioritized steps?

Good to know for future reference, if we ever had to change battery or something.
I just printed out the procedure and followed it step-by-step. My instrument cluster didn't indicate what I should do at all.

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
I've never heard of an actual "chip" being used in a mercedes to increase performance. They flash the ECU which changes the programming and put the ECU back into the car. They dont add a chip. I would assume resetting the ECU would erase the programming back to stock, it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
CLK
548 Posts
blackbenzz said:
I've never heard of an actual "chip" being used in a mercedes to increase performance. They flash the ECU which changes the programming and put the ECU back into the car. They dont add a chip. I would assume resetting the ECU would erase the programming back to stock, it makes sense to me.

Man i just reset my chip to stock, It was an accident. So the pulleys are doing a great work on it BB you need to them bro.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts