Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
This and that
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this bad boy in a barn, and with the current trend towards restos and pic posts thought I would post it. Should also mention that it had company, in the form of a 1961 220Sb. It hadn't been on the road in +/-20yrs but the elderly woman said she would never sell it. Original owner, sentimental value deal. It is a 1973 280, it has 24K on the odo, more likely 225K of course. It runs like a top, and I've had it up to 95mph which is scary when you can look down and see the road flashing past.[:D][xx(]

[;)]

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Chandler.

Nice find...since you made the reference to the ground rushing past, how 'bout a pic of that floorpan?[;)]

What's the first thing you plan to do to it?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Fairly low production sedan. Total of 22,836 made. 8,214 units in 1973. Half as many coupes. Rated at 124 mph tops. The 110 engine is one of the best and was also used in the Gelandewagen 4X4. Also lots of parts available for reasonable cost.

·
Registered
This and that
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Low production and thanks to odd insulation, there are VERY few left on the road. They all rust in those same spots. As to what I am going to dowith it, I'm not sure. I listed it here for sale(in the classifieds) for $750, with the severe rust it won't pass an inspection. I may license it just to comute in. I know the purists will hate it but I may just throw some wheels on it, cut the springs and cruise. Any way, I turned the E55 in on off lease Monday so I threw its wheels on last night and got some pics. The backs need nearly 25mm spacers to clear the inner fenders [:D]

And the BIGGEST Solex carb I have ever seen:

I'm sure some of you will say "You can't do that" but hey, it is my car and it is really only good for parts at this point without A LOT of body work so...

·
Registered
This and that
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed Mclass - 4/5/2006 3:58 PM

Take a look on e-bay to see what one looks like as a truck! Under "220D" classifieds.
Yeah, I saw that in someones post on here. That is pretty cool. I'd hit it[;)]

·
Registered
This and that
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gregs210 - 4/3/2006 11:36 AM

Hey, Chandler.

Nice find...since you made the reference to the ground rushing past, how 'bout a pic of that floorpan?[;)]
Here you go, like I said:

I am going to vacuum it tonight, they appear to have never WASHED or cleaned the car.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Thats a funny looking passenger headrest... Looks like it was well used.... lol....[:D]

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
It's definitely the most severe disconnect between wheel and car that I can recall seeing [8D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts