Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often last summer my AC would stop working. Yesterday i added a dye to see if it would help me find a leak. Sure enough today the low side fitting comming out of the condenser was green from the dye. The aluminum quick release fitting itself, was not leaking. However the brass fitting behind it ( coming out of the condenser) had a hair line crack that was slowly releasing the freon. My question is, is that brass fitting part of the condensor or can it be pulled out and replaced sperately? Thanks

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Best you get a AC enginer to fix It for you..
I think the brass collar is a replaceable pressure joint union..however A bit difficult to give any info .. with no pics or ideas as to exactly where the union is..

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the front quick connect right infront of the hood on the drivers side of the aux fans. i got the bad news today, I called two dealers and that brass piece is a part of the condenser, one dealer quoted me 580 the other quoted me 500 and an after market valeo is 270.Iam taking it to a shop this weekend specializing in ac and radiators.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Hmm but as the the condenser is not solid brass .. you would have to conclude that it is a seperate part..Therfore replacable..just stick to your guns get a refrgeration enginer on that fixes Domestic A/c to have a go at it ...
They all swim with the sharks anyway..

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its something to the sense that the brass fitting is behind some kind of a flared tubing that cant be pulled out. iam tottaly not sure but the brass fitting is on the condenser. i believe its there so you can hold it in place while you torque down on the quick connect fitting without damaging the condenser.I will definetly investigate further and if worse comes to worse its getting soldered before i dish out that cash. its such a fine hair crack that stops leaking when the bar reaches 7. R134 for some reason is double the price from last year . Thanks for replying back Merc, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the quick connect fitting today and that brass or yellow steel metal fitting is soldered to the condenser. To avoid spending the big bucks this summer, I used JBWELD to seal off the leak, the stuff is amazing, I filled my freon back up and the pressure stayed steady with 0 leaks. I just hope it lasts wich I think it will. Its a little bit of backyard mechanic kind of work but iam very happy with the results. It hardened like steel,
here is the link if anyone is interested in future repairs, cost is around $5. Thanks

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

1 - 6 of 6 Posts