Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2012 E550 at a Nashville dealership that I was considering but that took a dump since they sold it Saturday. But, they have a quite clean 2009 S550 4Matic with 105,000 miles on it. I had not really considered purchasing a W221 but I have since given up on finding a replacement W220 that my wife totaled 3 years ago. Very clean specimen but there is a carfax history that has me bugged. It underwent spark plug replacement at 65K and then a little past 70k, a cylinder head was replaced. Hmmm. Blown out plug? (see attached pic). Sure seems dealership buggered the job. Opinions?

Other than the intake flap fiasco, are there any other issues I need to be aware of on the 3rd model year of this car? I have confirmed that it does not have the battery in the trunk as the 07 and 08's do. Input?

Attachments

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder about the "engine compression checked".
I've seen this before. A plug job gets done. A few thousand miles later, plug gets blown out from improper torque and then it's a head job. I find it strange the dealer in Ft. Walton replaced the plugs and then 5000 miles later. Mercedes of Huntsville is replacing a head. The minor accident doesn't bother me but overtorque the plugs in an aluminum head is bad news.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get a VMI to see what parts were actually replaced. I'd call the dealership in Huntsville and sweet talk them into giving me the repair order details.

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a VMI to see what parts were actually replaced. I'd call the dealership in Huntsville and sweet talk them into giving me the repair order details.
MB of Huntsville will not give me VMI unless I own the car. Tried that before. They're not even supposed to give it to you, period. MB of Knoxville certainly won't give it to you. They were so ugly to me about it last time that I'll never deal with them. I could buy it and then ask them for it but what good does that do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
MB of Huntsville will not give me VMI unless I own the car. Tried that before. They're not even supposed to give it to you, period. MB of Knoxville certainly won't give it to you. They were so ugly to me about it last time that I'll never deal with them. I could buy it and then ask them for it but what good does that do?

That's a bummer. Most dealerships have given them to me on any car for sale. I've even seen them attached to the car listing online for everyone to see. Not sure what the big deal is, there is zero personal info on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts