Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Forgot oil cap...

502 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DavidLeeRoth 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I few months ago i was in a hurry and topped up my oil level but after a few kms i noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. I stopped and sure enough the oil cap was not properly put back on and maybe a liter of oil splattered everywhere.

I cleaned it how i could with rags and sprayed a fair amount of contact cleaner in each injector connector but some places are still drenched like the injectors loom and around the injectors. Will it damage the loom or the o-rings ? Or is my ego the only thing hurt really ? should i spray something to degrease it ?

#4 ·
I did this once on a Dodge Dart with a 198 slant 6; I just considered it additional rustproofing. I would not worry too much about it, most stuff in the engine compartment is made to survive exposure to oils, etc.. and you've cleaned out what you think might be vulnerable. Because it will drip, you might smell or even see a bit of smoke for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.