1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
I would have used the money to stay out of bankruptcy because you do indeed hurt society as a whole by hurting the economy. Every bankruptcy hurts no matter how big or small. In any case, she still came out on top as far as she is concerned.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Every single one of their debts is a promise--a vow--to repay someone she borrowed money from. Now she and her husband are going to skip out on $3.5 million in debts they've rung up, just because they couldn't be bothered to manage their affairs responsibly. And guess who pays? You and me. Yeah, I'm mad too :mad:

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Her creditors have first claim on that prize money, not the Bide-A-Wee Puppy Farm or wherever she's trying to send it. She can't give that money away, it belongs to someone else.

IT'S NOT HER MONEY :mad::mad::mad:

:D

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Her creditors have first claim on that prize money, not the Bide-A-Wee Puppy Farm or wherever she's trying to send it. She can't give that money away, it belongs to someone else.

IT'S NOT HER MONEY :mad::mad::mad:

:D
100% right:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shows how much economic sense I possess, right?

that's why I don't manage money -- I leave that with my wife.

It's the principle involved - she sent a positive message, not of greed when she won that million. She made it clear from the beginiing that it was not earmarked for his and her walk-in closet addition or some uselesss-to-the-society-at-large spending but for education.

When it comes to matters concerning volunteering for and promoting improvement for education, I am real sucker for it.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Well Nao, no one who knows you would ever doubt that your heart is in the right place!

But people like this -- it's right where the rubber hits the road. She gets a million-dollar windfall, while owing over three million to people she has promised to pay, and says "Oh I know what let's do! Let's give it to the children!"

People who have trusted her and her husband to make good on their promises are themselves suffering now, laying off workers, losing their own businesses and on and on it goes, cascading throughout the economy.

People like this woman are exactly where the rubber hits the road.

I have a friend in Texas who is like this. She and her husband are about to declare bankrupcy for the second time. They have NO sense of responsibility. Things just keep "happening" to them. But she--and her layabout husband in particular--can't seem to drive past their local shopping mall or Home Depot without stopping in and loading up the SUV.

Bankruptcy lets them keep their vehicles (bought on time) and their (enormous) house and personal effects (homestead exemption). I'm glad they live in Texas because if they were near me I'm sure I would have punted that friendship by now :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read the AJC article, which is more detailed of the two in its account of Coxes' finances, and I have come to agree with the prevailing view. I admit I did not read carefully after reading the NYT version and became incensed.

It'll be interesting how much of the credit card debt is business-borne and how much from personal expenses. Obviously, the bigger the latter, the bigger my disappointment with her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts