Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know by now the R class will be no more for the 2013 model year. But the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT marches on. Any ideas how they can survive but the R could not? I never even considered those vehicles..not a Ford fan, but their concept is no different than the R.

·
Registered
2005 C240 silver, 2008 R320CDI Cubanite
390 Posts
I tried the ford flex and I liked it, especially at almost half the price it is much more of a Macho type mans car. The station wagon without the stygma. But my wife hates the look.. so an R320CDI it was. I am very happy about my decision.

But an observation. I just spent 3 days in newhampshire white mountains and it was hard to find diesel! Even at interstate exits! good thign i have a 800Km range!

·
Registered
2012 R350 BlueTEC, 1987 BMW M6
32 Posts
Don't know; we bought a 2012 Diesel and love it. Pretty spendy though. :)

I guess we can add the Infiniti JX to the list of alternatives as well. Quick look at Canadian Infiniti pricing and it looks quite a bit cheaper than the R. Will be interesting to see how it sells.

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The JX seems to be selling here well in the states, we have been previously shopping for our 2010 Lexus RX and stopped by a few Infinity dealers and they all said the same thing about the JX. We love our R, have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon, has been good to us during the last 2.5 years, we are now at 90k miles. Just replaced the R/F CV outer boot recently, not a big deal. The Lexus does not have the ride the R gives, but the wife likes the RX because it is smaller and overall easier to maneuver.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Neither the Flex nor the Lincoln have crossed the survival threshold yet, and neither have been on sale for nearly as long as the R (7 years). Flex sales have been disappointing, and as we did, many of the Flex fanatics point towards poor marketing. I, however, would tend to blame half-hearted engineering and quality control.

When replacing our pig (2007 R320), we looked at the Flex because it has the same "large station wagon" layout. Overall it was compelling in many ways, but too poorly executed to fit the bill for us. It seemed that quality is still job 4 or 5 at Ford, and after our horrendous experience with the pig's inferior quality control, I was in no mood to sign on for another suspect vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD, 1978 280SE EURO
261 Posts
Ford actually advertised the flex for a good while and the Lincoln MKT, until the next new product comes along (explorer, now escape). I doubt it is selling as much as the last two years, they seem to have disappeared off the roads or maybe just "blended in" overtime. I opened the doors on one and that was enough, if somebody bought a Flex it was due to the fact they have never owned a quality vehicle. I thought the back seat was a school bus! I suspect most buyers were just former Taurus owners. I did drive one too, not the ecoboost and it was horrible off the line, then suddenly developped power at 3000rpm, as if it is detuned to avoid understeer or torque steer at low speed. I also could not tell it was riding on 20's, very little steering feel/no performance ride.
It is a shame Mercedes never advertised the R class, they just plain forgot about it and I had to visit 5 dealers before I could even see one in the showroom, few were interested in selling it (last year).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts