Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLS500,07 Cayman S,04 Ford Ranger Edge
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else read this article from Forbes.com online. It was the lead in an article about the new Subaru Legacy, but it sure should send a message to Mercedes in MHO.
[B)]
"Carmakers are never satisfied with their current positions in the marketplace.

For example, next year BMW will likely bring its smallest car, the 1 Series, to the U.S. And DaimlerChrysler's (nyse: DCX - news - people ) Mercedes-Benz likewise will bring its smallest models here, too--although the carmaker seems in a perpetual state of indecision about which models to bring and when.

But we're not at all indecisive about small, inexpensive BMWs and Benzes. We think it's a silly idea.

Why, for heaven's sake, should the hallmarks of aspirational brands--right up there with Rolex--stoop to Timex status and compete to see who has the cheapest toys? In this country, Mercedes and BMW are icons. Their badges alone mean you've "made it," so there's little point in making these badges more widely available.

In simplest terms, people "graduate" to Mercedes and BMW status. Aspirational brands have status because they aren't easily obtained. They lose this allure when they go on sale at the outlet mall. How exclusive is a Ralph Lauren suit when you can buy it at Marshalls?

Preserving status should be the No. 1 mission for luxury brands."[B)]

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
I strongly disagree!

The class system is antiquated. Not all nice things should be out of the reach of commoners. I just ate a hamburger from Sonic for dinner. It was on sale. I'm wearing a Ralph Lauren anorak that i bought on sale, I brought my schoolwork in in a Ken Cole bag, that I bought on sale.

Even my Mercedes-Benz was on sale. I drive one just the same. It makes no difference what size the car is. People driving Toyota Echos and Chevrolet Aveos will still covet the A Class.

Don't Diss DCX because you think you need to be better than others. Drive your $50K car and be happy its a fine machine, but don't belittle those that own or even aspire to own the 25-30k model, it isn't fitting of a gentleman or a lady of any class.

·
Registered
CLS500,07 Cayman S,04 Ford Ranger Edge
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iNeon - 3/1/2005 8:37 PM

I strongly disagree!

The class system is antiquated. Not all nice things should be out of the reach of commoners. I just ate a hamburger from Sonic for dinner. It was on sale. I'm wearing a Ralph Lauren anorak that i bought on sale, I brought my schoolwork in in a Ken Cole bag, that I bought on sale.

Even my Mercedes-Benz was on sale. I drive one just the same. It makes no difference what size the car is. People driving Toyota Echos and Chevrolet Aveos will still covet the A Class.

Don't Diss DCX because you think you need to be better than others. Drive your $50K car and be happy its a fine machine, but don't belittle those that own or even aspire to own the 25-30k model, it isn't fitting of a gentleman or a lady of any class.
I'm not "diss(ing)" DCX. It was just an observation by Forbes. But it you think Mercedes isn't about class, status, luxury and technical leadership, you are sorely mistaken at least insofar as the US is concerned. Those driving Echoes and Aveos would be far safer and better off driving a 5-6 year old C Class. My first Benz was a used 400SE and it was a fine car, maybe the last best Benz. Since then, I've had an SLK, 2 CLK's (320 & 430), an ML430, and a G-500. So, I think I can at least speak from some level of expereince. There were two BMW's before them. Benz, in case you missed it, has suffered from QC problems the last few years. They have lost market share to BMW and Lexus. Fortunately Jags and Audis continue to suffer from prior poor reputations. Benz is in danger of getting there. In the past, there was no discernable quality disfference between a C and an E Class, the C was simply a smaller Mercedes. The new cars don't follow, except for the new C appearing to have gotten far better. I'm in hopes that my new CLS will be going back to the previous Benz philosphy is building the car to a standard and then deciding what the price will be. That was the way my '92 400SE (w140) was built. It cost more in '92 than an '05 S500 today and that's a fact. I buy Benzes because they represent engineering excellence AND status. I don't want everyone else to have one. I earned mine and those who want one can do the same...or they can buy used until they can afford new. That doen's mean Benz should build cheap cars. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
Theres a reason why Toyota's highend cars are called Lexus outside of Japan, and even in Japan high end Toyota's are losing market share to status symbols like Mercedes and BMW, thats why they are going to start calling them Lexus in Japan also. People that can afford these cars brand new are just trying to impress other people, in reality Honda Accords or Toyota Camries are fine cars with almost as much luxory as an older model S-class but with out the status.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts